Pacman

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curtis

Reaction score
Is Pac-Man yeast all that different?? Is there a white Labs replacement? Want to clone Rouge Hazel nut brown.Can we cultur from this beer?????

I think Pacman is a great yeast. I'm sure there are yeasts out there that are similar. I am brewing with pacman right now and it absolutely went to town on my IPA and fermented at around 60 degrees. It was the best fermentation I've had to date; very active, but not violent. I love it, and have 4 more packs plus the yeast from this batch washed. I'm going to try to use it as much as I can while I have it.

Dan

I cant seem to find it in the two local HB shops. Has anyone cultured this yeast from a bottle of beer??? I dont see any yeast in the bottom of a bottle, does this mean there are no yeasties????????Have some time, dont want to wast it, HELP!!!

They only sold it for a couple months, and that ended on Dec 31st. So you would be lucky to find any. I don't think it's all that likely you will cultivate any from a bottle.

Dan

I like pacman a lot as well. Used it for the last four brews, just reused the stuff batch to batch. Nice attenuation and a calm fermentation. Doesn't floc well w/o finings but will make crystal clear beer with some whirlfloc and cold conditioning. Pretty neutral in flavor but you get a little fruity flavor much about 68-70. Its good for wheat beers fermented at higher temps.

I've heard from a lot of people who've cultured pacman out of a bottle of rogue with great results.

Well I got two 22s of hazelnut brown Rogue, and tried to get the yeasties out. I will post the verdic. Go Pac-Men.

I'm going to the brewery this weekend for their "yard sale" and am going to try to procure some pacman. If I am successful I will hopefully have some for people on the board as well as myself. I will let you all know.

Dan

20061102-pacmancharthumor.jpg

Back