First extract batch - lid on pot when steeping grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOOCHY

Reaction score
Hey guys I think I have everything ready to go but just had one last question. Do you usually keep the lid on the pot when you're steeping your grains? I know not to put the lid on when boiling the wort, but wasn't sure about this part.

Sounds good, thanks fartingdog - much appreciated. :)

Worked just fine - just did the hop addition and we're on our way to a 60 min boil!

Ohhh, nooo. You shouldn't put a lid on it...I can't recall what you are supposed to let escape. By covering your brew pot you are trapping the stuff that is supposed to escape...

Ohhh, nooo. You shouldn't put a lid on it...I can't recall what you are supposed to let escape. By covering your brew pot you are trapping the stuff that is supposed to escape...

While boiling the wort you need to leave it uncovered to allow DMS (di-methyl sulfide) to escape, because it will lend a cooked corn/cabbage flavor and aroma to the beer that is undesirable. While mashing (or steeping) however, almost every vessel you see will be covered to keep the heat in, and there is no benefit to keeping it open at this point.

Thanks BarleyWater, that's what I had read about DMS. As a side note, everything is in the fermentor and things are moving along nicely. It's bubbling away and has a nice layer of krausen.

Back