Vienna Malt - Your thoughts/comments on the taste ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
What do you think of the taste of Vienna as compared to Munich ?

What is your impression of the taste of this malt ?

I'm just kind of wondering what to expect if I decide to do a smash with it. Somehow I got the idea that I didn't care for the taste of Vienna as much, but I want to make sure before I just dismiss it as something I don't like or jump off the deepend and make 5 gallons of Vienna Smash that I'm not really wild about.

Can you recommend a commercial beer I can try that would have a noticeable Vienna malt flavor ?

Yes, Vienna lager. I use 97% Vienna and 3% dextrin malt. 100% Vienna malt is also acceptable.

What hop do you plan to use?

I was thinking Perle ? That is If I decide to make it as a smash.

Or I have some Nuggets and Hallertau in the freezer from last year, I made a really great beer with all Light Munich last year with that.

Have you ever tried a beer called "Warsteiner" ? I think thats the name of it. I tried a six pack of it back in the summer, and I'm pretty sure it said "Vienna Lager" on the bottle, even though when I look on their website I don't find that beer anywhere. Anyway, thats sort of how I got the idea that I didn't really like the taste of Vienna Malt.

I'm just trying to understand what Vienna Malt tastes like in comparison to something I'm familiar with like Munich or 2 Row Pils, because If I brewed a batch with like 11.5# of Vienna and it came out like that Warsteiner Vienna Lager I remember - well I guess I could drink it, but I'd be disappointed.

I last year I messed around with an extract/PM recipe for Sweetwater 420 Pale Ale, and it ended up with a good amount of Vienna - only it has a few other ingredients as well so I'm not completely sure what Vienna tastes like on its own. Outside of my experience with Warsteiner Vienna Lager - and to tell the truth outside of the words Vienna Lager on the bottle, I'm not even sure that beer is represenative of the taste of Vienna Malt.

I was just kind of hoping someone can give me a good idea what to expect from a beer with only Vienna malt, because I'm going to brew a couple of beers this weekend, and I've already bought the grain for one of them. The other beer Is kind of a toss up between repeating the Light Munich with Nugget and Hallertau or trying something new and going for something with all Vienna malt.

Yes, Vienna lager. I use 97% Vienna and 3% dextrin malt. 100% Vienna malt is also acceptable.

I don't mean to sound dense, but would you mind explaining if you can what the Vienna tastes like in comparison to say Munich or Continental Pils ?

Just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

thanks!

I find that vienna tastes more toasty than malty. It's closer to maris otter than it is to munich in my opinion. I really like it and my vienna lager in my dropdown is 100% vienna malt. If your LHBS has any in stock, the best thing to do is go in and munch on a few grains to get an idea of the flavour.

Edit: Oh and hallertau worked really well in my vienna lager, I haven't tried it with perle so I can't comment there.

I don't mean to sound dense, but would you mind explaining if you can what the Vienna tastes like in comparison to say Munich or Continental Pils ?

Just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

thanks!

Let's assume you are talking about German Vienna malt. Pilsner, Vienna, and Munich all derive from the same barley but each has a higher kiln rate so as you go up the ladder the color gets deeper, the flavor richer and the aroma toastier. Vienna lager is, IMO, the best expression of Vienna malt although the style has been close to extinction. The amber Mexican beers like Modelo Negro and Dos Equis Amber are decent versions although they do use corn adjuncts like most North American macro brews. Oktoberfest beers from Germany will often use good portions of Vienna malt. If there is any Hacker-Pschorr (sp?) left in decent condition give it a try. It is very difficult to describe the flavor of a malt but in general I would say that a good German Vienna will have a rich, slightly sweet malty presence and a wonderful soft aroma with toasty malt notes. Vienna is a great malt but it is traditionally used in beers where the malt is emphasized. If not a Vienna lager, try an Oktoberfest or Mocktoberfest if you don't lager. Use German noble hops and let the malt be the star of the show. Save the Nugget hops for an APA.

Vienna is a touch darker and I pick up slight raisiny notes when munching on a few grains of it. I think munich is more bready and toasty and pilsner, well thats just fresh bread tasting.

Have you ever tried a beer called "Warsteiner" ? I think thats the name of it. I tried a six pack of it back in the summer, and I'm pretty sure it said "Vienna Lager" on the bottle, even though when I look on their website I don't find that beer anywhere. Anyway, thats sort of how I got the idea that I didn't really like the taste of Vienna Malt..

I have had many Warsteiner's over the years having lived in Warsteiner country. They do not make a Vienna Lager. They make a German Pils called Premium Verum. It's strictly a German Pils straight up.

I use 2# of Vienna in my Haus Ale and I find it adds a certain breadiness to the beer which sets it apart.

Dos Equis Amber would be a commercial example of a Vienna Lager BTW.

Back