Starter for 10 gallon batch..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Ok, I have been making starters for a while now.. but never for a 10 gallon batch... (that i will be attempting for the first time next week...)

I usually just boil 1/2 cup DME and 2 cups water and let it go on the stirbar.. but what should i do differently for a 10 gallon batch? (btw, it will be in 2 fermenters)

Do i need to feed this thing for a few days? what are your tecks?

I usually make a quart starter and it works fine. I use around 5 ounces of light dried malt extract to ~32 ounces of water. This just about on track with what your doing already.
You could also ramp it up over the course of a few days as well. How big is this beer your making?

For most of my 10gal batches, I made a 1/2 gal starter with around 6oz of DME. I then dump about one quart into each fermentor. Haven't had a problem yet and most of my beers are between 1.045 and 1.055 OG.

I got one of them Hefeweizen's in the conical right now. Started at 1.043
Malted Wheat 50.00%
Pilsener 50.00%
8 oz rice hulls & one hop addition of Tettnang Mittelfruh at 12 IBU's
Fermented it high at 72f.

Oh man... I had not even thought about what I am going to need to do to my starter system now that I am going to ramp up from 5 gallon extract batches to 10+ gallon AG batches with a keggle.

Glad you posted this.

I guess it is time to build at least one more stir plate
and buy another flask
and another stir bar

now where did that thread about saving money by homebrewing go???? :D

Oh man... I had not even thought about what I am going to need to do to my starter system now that I am going to ramp up from 5 gallon extract batches to 10+ gallon AG batches with a keggle.

Glad you posted this.

I guess it is time to build at least one more stir plate
and buy another flask
and another stir bar

now where did that thread about saving money by homebrewing go???? :D

Yeah tell me about it.... Just wait, next you will want to do 1bbl batches like I'm trying to do. :drunk:

Yeah tell me about it.... Just wait, next you will want to do 1bbl batches like I'm trying to do. :drunk:

Dude...
I still have hundreds of dollars worth of gear to buy to get my keggle system to where I want it to be, I don't even want to think about moving beyond that for now. Then there is the cost that will be involved in converting the blockhouse on the back of my property into my dedicated "brew shed". My cost per beer is starting to look more like Utopias than BMC.

Back