Commercial bottles with labels that come off easily ~

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently had some Bells Expedition Stout bottles that I couldn't get the glue off the bottles. It was hard, not gooey like most. I pitched them in the recycling.

has no one recommended the OP soak his bottles in a bucket of pbw? I used to loath trying to get labels off before. 20min or more in pbw will make the label literally slide right off 95% of bottles. A few breweries use some weird adhesive. But it comes right off. I have a pile of like 45 labels at the bottom of my pbw bucket because they slide off as I pull them out

I recently went to MN and grabbed a bunch of Toppling Goliath 4 packs and bombers. Their labels are as easy to peel off as any I've come across, not to mention the beer inside the bottles is pretty good too. No residue whatsoever. Win-win

New Belugum by far the easiest I've ever done. Just soak in hot water for a few minutes and they come right off. Then I'll use a pice of scotch bright to remove what little glue is left. After they soak it takes less than 30 seconds per bottle.

SNPA labels do not come off easy. If by easy we're talking a soak in PBW then all bottles clean easy but in a water only 1hr soak only Lagunitas labels come off easy, IMO.

I've just had to soak the Shiner Prickly Pear labels off the twist off bottles in 3 TBSP PBW in about 4 gallons of water. Took 1 1/2 hours to soak them just loose enough to peel off gently. I'm going through all the bottles in my collection & removing the labels to dry, press flat & frame in poster frames like I do the coasters. Different brewer's labels will require different strategies I'll have to develop on my own, as the labelist's society has no one set way of doing it. Especially the one's with metal leaf on them. Here's a batch laid out to dry...

Any extra copies or sets thereof will be traded for other brewery swag, like the large number of bottle caps I already have.

Back