Mail order yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInCtown

Reaction score
Figured I would just add on the yeast from AHS as I ordered one of their clone kits and I wasn't sure if my local shop had the correct stuff and didn't want to drive and chance it. I live in Clveland where it's like 35 and dropping outside and there is a major storm heading through the midwest right now. I selected the no ice option as I figured it was cold enough outside but am wondering if I made a mistake.

How important is it to keep the yeast on ice like they sell?

Did I completely screw up my order and waste $6 in yeast?

+1
I have had them come in the summer with the icepack hot and never a problem.

I've had yeast mail ordered to Waco, Texas, from California during record breaking, 110ºF highs with no ice and then sit in the office of my apartment complex for a week after arriving (and they didn't notify me and tracking broke down).

It was a great batch!

TL

This time of year I'd almost think you'd want them to do the opposite - warm the ice pack up to room temp and ship it with the yeast, to give the package a little more thermal mass to keep it from freezing for a little longer ;)

Back