Rootbeer sweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bu11dog13795

Reaction score
hello everyone, i have made a couple of rootbeer batches so far and have run into some curiosity as the the quality. the rootbeer tasts good, a tad bit more licorice flavor than i would like, but its an extract kit. the directions say add sugar so i do. the sugar i used is a really high quality cane sugar. the question i have is, has anyone tried to use High Fructose Corn Syrup or light or what ever corn syrup that is available at the market? the reason for this inquiry is that although the rootbeer is good its extremly thin in mouth feel, and would like a heavier body. i keg it and charge co2.. what do you think?

I was on the same hunt and the answer to this that was given to me was to use Malt-Dextrine. I will be getting some this coming Monday when my shipment of roots show up. You may also want to give it a try. was also told a little goes a long way. I think like 1tsp or less/gallon. I would imagine some instructions of sorts would be on the package. Guess I will find out all of this next week myself. Hope this is still of some help to you.

Thank you. It absolutely is a help. I will give it a try. The malt dextrin is for thickning of the feel right? So you would still need to use another sweetener to go along with it. I k ow in making beer to add to the body you can use lactose because its non fermentable. Was just wondering if it was the same concept.

Yes it is used for thickening. To much and you will end up with jello, at least that's what I have been told. If you are already using sugar in the recipe then I don't know that you need to add another sweetener but I am also uncertain of this. Good luck let me know how it goes. I'll be trying my malt dextrin experiment on Monday. I'll be sure to post my results also. :)

I used the maltodextrin. It is night and day. Cane sugar and malto dextrin for sugars. End result if you use just cane sugar your beverage will be very thin. Great taste but no body. Cane sugar and some malto dextrin created that full body feel with out over sweetening.. will definitely be using this from here on out.

I too used some maltdextrine in some experiments. I had two recipes that I was working on, we will call them A and B. So I took a gallon of A and B and put 8oz of maltdextrine into each one. Everything went well up till it was time to consume. In batch A, there was a really bad flavor that it left and was not really drinkable, unless you could get past that bad flavor, which is not easy. Then in batch B there was still a hint of a bad flavor but not nearly as strong. It was drinkable but still not completely desirable. Now the mouth fell was great in both cases. I am wondering if it was the maltdextrine alone that caused the bad taste or if it was a reaction that it may have had with some of the other ingredients? I was also wondering if maybe using only 4oz/gal would still give me the desired mouth feel but eliminate the awful taste? Out of curiosity, is cane sugar your typical "table" sugar or is it something a little more special. Im almost certain I have seen cane sugar, but figured I would ask to be sure.

I'm going to put a rootbeer recipe here and if you follow it exactly I promise you will not think it is thin. I promise. And, don't use any maltodextrine.

• 1 Bottle Rainbow Flavors Rootbeer Extract
  • 4 gals of water
  • 2 lb Dark Brown Sugar
  • 6 Cups White Table Sugar
  • 2 Teaspoon Vanilla

Heat 1 gallon of the water and add the sugars. Stir until dissolved. Dump this and everything else into the keg and carbonate.

I can't help you if you're bottling, I don't do that with soda.

I used 8 oz weight measurement in 5 gallons. Did not affect the flavor, as i used the same recipe with out. Tasted the same but added a silk like smoothness for mouth feel. Seems to me your using to much malto dextrin. I added a little bit at a time until it tasted and felt just right. So far as cane sugar goes. Cane sugar is granules of sugar that have not been processed yet, it has A brownish hugh to it . That is because of the molasses that has not been removed yet. Table sugar is refined and processed cane sugar. I use 1 pound sugar per gallon. With 8 oz of malto dextrin. Heat a bit of water add the dextrin. Dessolve and pour the syrup into your beer. I use a wort chiller. Get down to temp. Transfer to keg and fill with water. You can do this in a bucket also so you can pitch yeast and bottle. Note i also do not botyle soda

Opps bottle* and another note. I also believe i may have used too much malto dextrin. All i can say is add a bit at a time until it tastes and feels right. But remember you still have to add water to bring to 5 gallons. You will have to compensate the difference. Otherwise you will be adding the dextrin in your keg. Dextrin dissolves fairly easy but would be difficult to stir in while in the keg.

Back