Counter-pressure filling pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zabuza

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I just filled up some bottles the other day with my new counter-pressure filler, and I have a quick question or two:

(1) My instruction sheet says you want to aim for a PSI in the bottles that's about 2-3 PSI greater than what's in the keg. This seems wrong to me and indeed, in practice, I found it impossible to fill a bottle under these conditions. The greater pressure in the bottle pushed the beer back up the dispensing line whenever I switched over to beer flow (which makes complete sense to me). I'm assuming bottle pressure should be 2-3 PSI LOWER than what is in the keg.

(2) I'm not quite sure how bottle purging is supposed to work (conceptually). I got a nice counter-filler from morebeer that has a regulator for bottle pressure and a pressure relief valve to let air vent as CO2 fills up the bottle, but I'm not sure how that's supposed to work. The CO2 is coming down the dip tube and the bottle is sealed by a stopper - where does the air go to get out? It can't flow up the tube the CO2 is coming out of, but that's the only place that leads to the pressure relief valve.

I usually bottle mine about 5 PSI or so. I don't know what your instructions are talking about. When I do it, the beer is already carbonated, so I am just dispensing it into bottles. You don't need much pressure to do that.

So I just filled up some bottles the other day with my new counter-pressure filler, and I have a quick question or two:

(1) My instruction sheet says you want to aim for a PSI in the bottles that's about 2-3 PSI greater than what's in the keg. This seems wrong to me and indeed, in practice, I found it impossible to fill a bottle under these conditions. The greater pressure in the bottle pushed the beer back up the dispensing line whenever I switched over to beer flow (which makes complete sense to me). I'm assuming bottle pressure should be 2-3 PSI LOWER than what is in the keg.

(2) I'm not quite sure how bottle purging is supposed to work (conceptually). I got a nice counter-filler from morebeer that has a regulator for bottle pressure and a pressure relief valve to let air vent as CO2 fills up the bottle, but I'm not sure how that's supposed to work. The CO2 is coming down the dip tube and the bottle is sealed by a stopper - where does the air go to get out? It can't flow up the tube the CO2 is coming out of, but that's the only place that leads to the pressure relief valve.

I have a Fermentap Counter Pressure Bottle Filler. It's the same one Morebeer sells. The pressure relief valve is adjustable to allow the operator to set the pressure lower than the keg pressure thus determining the rate of flow. Seat the filler and turn the valve handle to the gas side and adjust the relief valve until gas comes out of the relief valve then turn to the beer side. Turn it off when full. The relief valve setting is good for the whole run. Good luck. :)

I have the MoreBeer Deluxe CPBF and built a bottling station to make it easier to use:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bottling-station-counter-pressure-filler-339462/

In post #3 of that thread is a description of my bottle filling process. If my beer is carbonated at 12 PSI, I set the regulator for about 13 or 13.5 PSI during filling (still experimenting to find the best level). This pressure is applied to both the filler and the keg through a "T" connection.

DeafSmith said:
I have the MoreBeer Deluxe CPBF and built a bottling station to make it easier to use:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bottling-station-counter-pressure-filler-339462/

In post #3 of that thread is a description of my bottle filling process. If my beer is carbonated at 12 PSI, I set the regulator for about 13 or 13.5 PSI during filling (still experimenting to find the best level). This pressure is applied to both the filler and the keg through a "T" connection.

I think I see the problem now. Instead of using a T connection, I got a four way secondary regulator (I have three kegs). The idea was to use the fourth regulator for the gas line for the filler. So, I should set the PSI at about keg pressure level (or just above beer carbonation level, as you do), then just slowly bleed off a bit of pressure in the bottle to get the flow going. Does this sound right?

I don't have the exact filler that you do, but mine is similar. There is a tube within a tube. The tube that goes to the bottom will deliver CO2 to the bottom of the bottle when the 3-way valve is pointing to the gas. Use the purge valve to expel the air in the bottle. CO2 is heavier than air and the air will flow out as you purge the bottle. Then you turn the 3-way valve to liquid and beer will flow in, displacing most of the CO2

Here's a video showing you how to use your filler.
[ame]http://youtu.be/2NrjcNjRHpE[/ame]

bioguy said:
I don't have the exact filler that you do, but mine is similar. There is a tube within a tube. The tube that goes to the bottom will deliver CO2 to the bottom of the bottle when the 3-way valve is pointing to the gas. Use the purge valve to expel the air in the bottle. CO2 is heavier than air and the air will flow out as you purge the bottle. Then you turn the 3-way valve to liquid and beer will flow in, displacing most of the CO2

Here's a video showing you how to use your filler.
Video Link: http://youtu.be/2NrjcNjRHpE

Ok, I thought so. I realized it just after I made the post. I know how to use it, I just didn't quite understand (at that time), conceptually, how it was supposed to get the air out. But I get it now.

Back