Rookie trying to build a kegerator, lots of questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pomah25

Reaction score
Hey guys! How are you, very excited to join this forum.

Let me apologize in advance, if my questions are stupid :) I am brand new to the homebrew game.

A coworker of mine turned me on to brewing, I brewed two beers (amber ale - was delicious; and oatmeal stout - blew up all over my walls - salvaged 4 gallons and it's currently bottled and waiting for carbonation). After hearing that if you keg your beer, you do not have to wait 5 weeks for carbonation, I am very excited to try that... lets just say patience is not my virtue.

I am trying to build my first kegerator and those are pricey, so I have been hitting up friends and craigslist to see what I can scrounge up to build a kegerator system.

So far I got my hands on Nitrogen tank, regulator and a courney keg. I called around welding shops and it looks like a couple of local places will NOT fill my tank with CO2. Not sure why, but will have to roll with the punches.

Reading this forum and doing some googling I am seeing that nitrogenation of beer is acceptable as long as you stick with your maltier brews (apparently it kills the bitters and hoppy tastes).

I guess my questions, are:
Is this true? Is it possible to use Nitrogen tank to do this?
If not, is there a place I can get Nitrogen tank filled with CO2 - if I buy an adaptor or say some special word?
Is it possible or a good idea to try to trade it for CO2 Tank?
I guess any tips regarding this would be awesome, thank you so much. FYI, i am a huge fan of stouts/porters/red ales/brown ales. Not really a fan of IPAs - I guess with the exception of Black IPAs.
Any special configurations with pleasure or fridge temps? For either Nitrogen or CO2
Do I need a special tap? Since I want to do it on a cheap (to start with, then upgrade with time) can I get a way with a regular tap?

Like I said, I am a complete rook, and would love to learn from experienced members! :)

Any other tips on building a kegorator would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

PS
Not sure if possible, one thing I would love to consider into design, is portability. I would love to be able to just grab the keg the tank and go to a tailgate with my homebrew (toss it on ice) and enjoy nice brew while supporting my alma mater!

Get a co2 tank trade your other tank if you can I got a 15 lbs. Tank for 43.00 at my local welding shop. I Owen it now and it is only 12.00 to refill it. I got a tap kit with everything needed from homebrew stuff for 128.00 quick shipping!! Good luck!!

ForumRunner_20120406_215354.jpg

Back