Champagne yeast doesn't seem to be working on a stuck Imperial Stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedChild

Reaction score
Here is one more amateur brewer with a stuck imperial stout. Unfortunately, after scouring the posts I can't seem to find my specific problem. I used the imperial stout recipe in "Extreme Brewing". I changed it into a extract recipe, if that matters. In the recipe it states: "pitch yeast" , however in the book itself it says to use champagne yeast to finish fermentation. I used two packs of Wyeast 1028 from an OG of 1.104 to 1.040. I followed the instructions from another book to rack to secondary fermenter after krausen had fallen. I used rehydrated Lalvin EC-1118, added 5 tsp of yeast energizer and waited 48hours. I stirred some but was worried about oxygenation. No activity. Like none. I realize that this is where I made a mistake as even the champagne yeast doesn't like to be added to 8 or 9% beer and I should have pitched it when the krausen was present. I pitch more Lalvin and waited another 48 hours but still no activity. I pitched a third Lalvin in desperation. 48 hours later I stirred like mad also in desperation. I understand I have messed this up. Any concrete help to rescue this? Do I make a starter? Could it be the ph balance? Someone on the forums reracked to the primary and got the yeast cake moving again. Should I try this? I also saw a gradual restart method on a wine site. Could this work? Enzymes? All the forums I've seen asking about using champagne yeast but none deal with what do if it doesn't work. I'm okay with it being dry. I just want it drinkable.

Back