BrewShoes and other Beer Day Rituals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwndabear

Reaction score
I am not one for superstition or rituals usually, however when it comes to brewdays, i must have on my old pair of slippers for the day to feel right. For some, reason they make me feel good as I am brewing and have become a part of my brewday,

:rockin:When I get home today, the BREWSHOES ARE GOIN ON BABY!:rockin:

What "BrewShoes" do you fellow homebrewers have? What rituals do you have, what special clothing do you put on, supersitions, routines, etc... anything! GIVE IT UP!

Ha! I wear my dear foam slippers while in the kitchen brewing. This made me think of the song "bbq shoes" used on bbq pit boys show. That,& one of my tuner guy tee shirts,typically. Always more comfortable that way. One more trip to the LHBS for a large ale pale,some more hops,& trade my vinator for one that actually works. Then 2 brew days comin up! It'll be nice to get where I can brew two at once. Got plenty of bottles saved for,maybe,3 batches.:mug:

My hat.

dsc_0071.jpg

I brew bare foot! In the winter I do use slippers when I'm in the garage. Easy to get on and off when running back inside for a beer.

I typically jam the Holy Diver cover by Killswitch Engage as loud as I can. I think it was just a song my brew buddy and I were diggin when we first started brewing. We had a few too many the night before brew day and waking up in time to start brewing was horrible lol. I needed some music to get us going. That was the perfect track.

I brew bare foot! In the winter I do use slippers when I'm in the garage. Easy to get on and off when running back inside for a beer.

I'd be way too scared to drop something heavy, glass or hot on my feet to ever brew barefoot or even in slippers/flipflops.

My only brew day ritual is to drink beer and force all visitors/assistants to do the same. But I think that's nothing out of the ordinary.

That's another one I forgot. When I/we're done brewing & setting up the fermenter,I clean everything up. Then we sit down at the comp with some HB's & videos.:tank:

This is funny. My brew buddy and I talk about this all the time. Neither one of us feels right brewing unless we are wearing our Croc's. Not usually superstitious, but the one brew day, a year or so ago, I didn't wear them, turned out really crappy. So now Croc's are "required" brew day attire. But in reality, they are just comfortable and it doesn't matter if they get wet, which when cleaning they always do! I also have to have Pandora on, tuned into an all hair bands station. :rockin::rockin:

never really played any music on but im having a bunch of people over tonight to bbq for my brewday and will probably have to. dragonforce FTW!

i also forgot that i must have everything absolutely organized in a chronilogical order of need throughout the brewing process. makes life easy as pie.

never really played any music on but im having a bunch of people over tonight to bbq for my brewday and will probably have to. dragonforce FTW!

i also forgot that i must have everything absolutely organized in a chronilogical order of need throughout the brewing process. makes life easy as pie.

My OCD does not allow me to start the brew day until everything is in perfect order! I understand where you're coming from. :ban:

I have to have a beer hat on and the sirius tuned in to country, bluegrass or hairnation. It just doesn't seem like a brewday without them.

I have certain shirts that I am not allowed to wear unless I brewed the day before. I also always get the first beer out a new keg on brew day, usually while I am waiting for the boil.

I don't really have any rituals, but I like to wear a home brewing shirt on days I brew. I've got 6 different home brewing shirts so whichever one is clean and gets pulled off of the hangar works for me.

Kilt and beer shirt, homebrew or otherwise works for me.

Come to think of it, I wear my kilt quite often, cant beat the comfort!

One of my buddies would always turn on Widespread Panic or Grateful Dead on Pandora for the brew session. Besides drinking homebrew the whole day he had a ritual of partaking in a cousin of hops at every addition in the boil.

First batch I brewed I put the movie beerfest on in the background. Since then I really don't have any rituals other than listening to music and hanging out on HBT!

I always have music on, usually a Tool album, or Pandora with Massive Attack and Thievery Corporation...

I wear my Crocs flipflops, sometimes with socks! And I must be drinking a homebrew. :)

Pandora open in one tab, and HBT open in the next one over, ready to post about current mistake/ question hahah.

My biggest ritual is cleaning my kitchen. Pretty much only gets done when I brew or bottle

I like to wear my Wyeast shirt even though I rarely use their products. Just owning a Wyeast shirt makes me feel like a total beer nerd, which is exactly what I want on brew days.

Uh Oh! I have brewed two batches and i didn't realize the ritual. Dang it, I bet they are gonna be nasty. I'm going to hafta buy a brew-day hat. 10-gallon? Felt? Baseball? any suggestions, i dont wanna have skunky brew!

I used to have a pair of sandals...rubber with those scratchy looking things on them. They were bright red to the point of being nearly pink. They were perfect because I could get them wet and they kept me from slipping. My wife said they were ridiculous and threw them out one day. Now I'm on a conquest to find even more ridiculous shoes out of spite, but none of them come in mens sizes :(

I wear carhatt khaki pants a carhartt short sleeve shirt with pocket and ariat cowboy boots with steel toes and rubber soles...Sometimes I feel like those brewers in that Sam Adam's commercial... even though I hate Sam Adams.

Speaking of...I need some carhartt overalls for winter brewing :mug:

Pandora open in one tab, and HBT open in the next one over, ready to post about current mistake/ question hahah.

My biggest ritual is cleaning my kitchen. Pretty much only gets done when I brew or bottle

+1

This is me all over!

Khaki cargo shorts adidas shell tops and my Ted Williams jersey to summon my inner greatness

Reno_eNVy_446 said:
+1

This is me all over!

Similar, pandora streaming through iPhone in the background, with the hbt app open as well, and ibrewmaster open.

iPhone has taken over on brewday, no more laptop

o4_srt said:
Similar, pandora streaming through iPhone in the background, with the hbt app open as well, and ibrewmaster open.

iPhone has taken over on brewday, no more laptop

iPhone and ibrewmaster here too. I love that app.

TwoGunz said:
iPhone and ibrewmaster here too. I love that app.

Oh, and my brew thong of course. Nothing gets my krausen going like a spangled g-string.

Oh, and my brew thong of course. Nothing gets my krausen going like a spangled g-string.

The real key to ensure a strong, healthy fermentation.

I guess a "Beer Dance" to the Yeast-Gods couldn't hurt either.

Usually a pair of jeans and comfortable but supportive sneakers. I've had one too many bad backs at the end of brewdays to wear my Chuck Taylors anymore.

One thing I stick to is that I don't have a beer until after the boil starts.

Back