Batch Sparging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcoates

Reaction score
So,
I have a 10gal cooler mash tun and am doing a 10.25 gal batch.

I am using 20 lbs of grain with 1.25 qt per lbs or 6.32 gal of water to mash.

Beersmith calls for 9.73 gal of water to batch sparge with. So how do you fit 9.7 gal of water with 20lbs of grain to sparge. Do you add 2 gal or so of boiling water after conversion to the mash tun. Leaving only 7.7 gal or so to sparge with. Or would you sparge in 2 stages.

Thanks alot any input would be helpfull

You're going to want to add some boiling water to the mash to raise your temp up to the 170degree range. Go ahead and add that extra 2-2.25 gallons for the mash out, then the remaining amount (7.7gal) for the sparge. I've been using this same method and it works great and efficiency #'s keep going up every time :)

You're going to want to add some boiling water to the mash to raise your temp up to the 170degree range. Go ahead and add that extra 2-2.25 gallons for the mash out, then the remaining amount (7.7gal) for the sparge. I've been using this same method and it works great and efficiency #'s keep going up every time :)

you can fit 20lbs of grain with 7.7 gal of water in a 10gal mash tun

what I would do
you're total water is 16 gallons
divide by 3=5.35
use 5.35 gallons for each of three additions, mash and two sparges
it should all fit
that come out to 1.33 quarts per lb for the mash

Back