airlock activity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grohse

Reaction score
Ive done quite a few batches now, but on this one im concerned about the airlock activity in relation to the Krausen. The Krausen is very thick(it was thicker than id seen previously, its gone down a bit, but still thick) right now, but the airlock has slowed down considerably. Yesturday it was about every 8 seconds, now about every 20 seconds.....yet the krausen has not receded very much.
Is this an early sign of a yeast going to bed? In all my previous batches the krausen activity corresponds to the airlock activity. Should I go ahead and give her a shake, or just wait and see if it goes totally asleep? Or is that not the case at all, and is this common?
thanks. :)

Uhh, nevermind, the krausen is almost gone, it was just the stuff stuck to the side that made it look 3 inches thick! Im fine now. But the question still stands, in case that does happen in the future.

If you're using a yeast that is known to be highly flocculant, you can give it a shake to rouse them back up again, if you think it's stuck. I don't think it's recommended to do this much, though.....some say it causes greater diecetyl and ester production.

Okay, another question........ Now, its restarted big time, despite not touching it. It had died town to almost no krausen, to where it wasnt covering the top in all places,t hen I come back last night and itthe airlock was going once every 8 seconds, and the krausen had reemerged. I was hoping to rack today, guess that aint happening. haha.

Back