corny keg, why not a regular keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seancky2

Reaction score
i have 6 empty kegs in my basement. I have brewed in 5 gallon buckets twice and it was really fun, except we can only make 5 gallons at a time. I was wondering if it is possible to brew straight inside a regular 15.5 gallon stainless steel keg? How does one go about doing this? Google doesnt have any answers for me : (

hey,

I'm with you on this one, but I don't think there is a way to reuse them. it would be crazy if someone came up with a way.

Yes, there is a way, but you would have to either buy expensive equipment or spend a lot of time fabricating.

SABCO

sabco_1925_11961663

if you are talking about just using that 15.5 gallon keg to boil in, it is definitely possible, and easy to do, in fact. they are referred to as a 'keggle'. i have two, one for my HLT, and the other for my boil kettle, and perhaps in the future, another one as my MLT.

all you need is something to cut the top out with: dremel, saws all, angle grinder, etc. and something to cut out a 7/8'' hole for a weldless fitting (hole saw or a uni-bit), or someone to weld in a coupler for you. then you add your ball valve (i prefer stainless), and your nipple (i prefer stainless again) and you are set to boil in it once it is clean, and drain with the spigot.

if you are talking about fermenting though, there are some people who ferment in the sanke kegs, but it takes a decent amount of work to make it happen. at that point i'd recommend getting some USplastics drums, maybe their 14 gallon food grade with removable lid, and use that to ferment in.

I think you could do it real easy.
The only thing is they are hard to clean due to the small opening ann not being able to see. But the breweries do in.

I've found that when you take the centre out you can turn it upside down and put it back in all you'd need is a reducer from the 20mm (ish) pipe to fit the airlock.

I've fitted a 42 mm sleeve here for other purposes.

Fit a nipple at the end, put it on legs and you can dump the trub.

PICT0005.JPG

Edit.

A bit like this.

sankeyfitting2jm1.jpg

Latest posts

Back