Long primary vs. Secondaries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer

Reaction score
I don't want an out of control discussion, because in my searches, that's what these types always turn into. If you wouldn't mind, just put a post with one or the other, like this:

If you do your fermenting entirely in the primary, just post: Primary
If you rack to a secondary, just post: Secondary

Not trying to be insulting, just looking for an idea of what most people do without starting a debate.

Secondary; BTW the answers have to be at least ten characters long, so the responses have to be more than just Primary or Secondary

Have switched to Primary only except for lagering. This includes dry hopping in the primary also. Am in the process of comparing the results from a Primary only versus Primary/Secondary system which is what I used to do. So far I have had great results with the Primary only. Montanaandy

No chill to winpak primary, dry-hop in primary, cold-crash in primary, rack to keg.

Primary only for standard small beers.
Secondary for really big beers, or things I'm oaking/adding fruit to/using bugs to sour/etc, or for long-term lagers.

I try to go to Secondary with any beer I can. I have made one batch with out it....It turned out great but wasn't as clear as I liked..........

I also have another really pale beer that I don't have a open secondary to use and it's done so I'm gonna bottle........

It's a preference thing I think. I do it when I can.

+ 1 on anything big or dry hop & additives like oak etc.

Long primary 3-4 weeks.

Secondary for dry hopping, cold crash to clear, or need to free up primary fermenters so I can brew some more! :D

Primary

(unless it's a high gravity beer requiring long conditioning, a lager, a dry-hopped beer, or I'm drunk and have an autosiphon in my hand.)

Primary primarily. After reading one of those long arguments I decided to try primary only. I have two IPAs in primary and one I just bottled. We'll see how they are different from my past brews.

Long primary, but with caveats.

If dry hopping or adding other things (fruit, coffee, etc) then I'll do a short secondary.....
If lagering, I try to go from long primary (3-4 weeks) into a keg for lagering for 4+ weeks.
Occasionally if I need a fermentor then I'll move a beer over to a secondary if a keg isn't open.

Latest posts

Back