Bavarian hefe... pitching yeast at secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonalexdeval

Reaction score
I have a bavarian hefeweizen (6 lbs. liquid, 1 lbs. dry malt extract) w/ Wyeast 3068 pitched at primary... it's been fermenting in primary for about a week now. I'm going to let it go about two weeks in primary.

I have heard that, in order to get the authentic German hefe taste, you need to pitch a second yeast either at secondary or at bottling time. I have a dry yeast (Safbrew WB-06) sitting around... could I pitching this right into the secondary and let it go for a few more days before bottling? Or should I use a lager yeast? What kind? And how would one pitch yeast at bottling if one wanted to do that?

Thanks

I think the 3068 is a proper yeast for a hefe, stays suspended well & is a true wheat style yeast. I've found it to work very well by itself. Never heard that about pitching a 2nd yeast. Where'd you hear that?

What you are referring to is Kreuzening. German Hefeweizen's are fermented using ale yeast like 3068, but then they are filtered and bottled with some fresh wort and lager yeast. Then the bottles are stored at around 50 degrees for 3 weeks to condition and carbonate.

Don't add any yeast to the secondary, just bottle as you normally would and you will be fine.

EdWort: Thanks. I will probably just bottle. Sounds a little complex for me. Is that something homebrewers of hefes ever do? Is it absolutely necessary to filter and add fresh wort? Also, is it mostly to add carbonation or does it also contribute different flavors?

Back