So I Dry Hopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyo220

Reaction score
:drunk:My Seirra Nevada pale ale clone. I have these Spongie, cheese, looking floaties next to my hop bag. It has been inthe secondary for two weeks. Am I infected?

Unless your beer tastes like vinegar and smells like crap, it's probably just yeast. There always seem to be some yeast that decide to make little liferafts on the top of my beer and float around up there.

You're probably fine, but it is probably time to bottle. Some people suggest that dry hopping for more than a week or so will impart less than good flavors from the hops, and that the aroma comes out in the first five days. After that you can start extracting plant like flavors. I've dry hopped for two weeks before, and I thought the flavor was great, no real off flavors to speak of.

If you want to see if its hop oil, you could swirl your secondary gently (dont oxygenate the beer), and the hop oil / yeasties will fall to the bottom.

Back