2nd Batch to Bottle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gremlyn

Reaction score
OK, we got our second batch bottled up in the Party Pigs tonight! We came out with about 4.3% ABV, our fermentation seemed to have gotten stuck at 1.018. We had it going 4 weeks and took a couple of gravity readings over the last few days to make sure it wasn't going down more. Our last batch also got stuck, stopped at 1.020. I'm not sure why, wondering if maybe we should throw in some yeast nutrient? The first batch was using the crappy generic Munton's yeast I have seen many people talk down upon, but this batch was using Nottingham Dry Ale Yeast. It fermented quite well it seemed, had airlock activity for almost 4 full days, even gave it a swirl a few times throughout the 4 weeks it was in the primary to make sure the yeast didn't flocculate to quickly. There was definitely a nice sized yeast cake at the bottom too. Any ideas?

The taste was quite nice, had good hop aroma to it, and it is incredibly clear looking; I attribute that to the irish moss we used. The colour is perfect for what I wanted for this red ale!

On another note, we found out why you puncture the pouch in the Party Pig BEFORE taking one of the bolts all the way out. Luckily my brew partner was aiming the nozzle away from his face at the time he took the bolt out... It was damn loud and the mist that sprayed everywhere was a nice touch. We made sure to do the second pig right.

Absolutely. Funny thing is, I was warned by a member here about the dangers of the Party pig opening but then managed to forget to impart that knowledge to my buddy. OOPS!

Back