Official 999 Swap Feedback Thread...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with you terapin...The fact that I didn't get anything from one of my 3 swappers and that only 1 of the 3 folks I sent to has taken the time to comment here has left a bitter taste in my mouth. I missed the 888 and was excited getting in on the 999, but I've skipped out on the 10-10-10, and I won't be doing the secret santa this year either. It's a shame cause this is probably one of the most useful tools we all have, sharing our brews with others and getting good feedback.

That sucks you guys. I guess I got lucky this time around in that I received all three and have had two of my recipients post reviews (of which you were one Brian!). But it really is disappointing that something like this has so much leading up to it and then just kind of fizzles out. Surprising to me, is that some of the more prominent people have yet to post a review, including the organizer. I'll participate in the 101010, but if I end up getting stiffed like you guys, it will probably be my last. I've stopped sending extra bottles in the little competitions around here since I've yet to see a review of any of the extra beers from the two informal competitions I sent to months ago. One guy, another prominent member of the site, won't even respond to email anymore.

If you sent me a 999, can you let me know how to identify your bottle? I need to post my reviews, but I lost the PMs that describe the bottles.

I'm sorry to hear about people who didn't get any reviews. It's a lot of work to make this and a lot of money to ship it out to everyone. If anyone local wants to meet up sometime and swap I'd be glad to do more reviews.

I have not posted the reviews on my 999 swaps due to the fact that I have not drank them. I have not had a Saturday (don't drink during the week) where I did not have something going on. Thus I have not had the time to just sit down and give the beer the time it needs. I don't want to just drink it and give a half assed review just to get it done.
When I do get it done I will not only post it here but I will PM the brewer with the review to be sure he/she sees it.

On a side note. My 999's have not been reviewed either and you don't see me cryin about it.

All mine haven't been reviewed either, but I didn't think that was the point of the swap, I felt it was to compare our beer with that of others. Unless your recipient is a certified judge, of what benefit is a "score sheet", taste is so subjective its astounding.

And no offense to people but I see a lot of scores on here that are through the roof, there's no way everyone on here makes world class beer.;)

Terrapin I will review your barley wine, but Jesus a 22oz bomber is a lot to drink in a sitting, i've also been on a diet as of late and it's hard to swill homebrew and lose weight.

I did enjoy your "pure soul" porter, I give it a 51/50:D
I didn't care for the munich helles, although i've never had a commercial version so i don't know what to expect, I saved one to try if I can ever find a commercial munich helles.

I don't think, nor expect a "score sheet", but some feedback would be appreciated. I think feedback is indeed a reason (if not the reason) why these swaps are put together. If my brew tasted like **** I want to know so I can figure out why. Otherwise I'm gonna keep brewing the same thing the same way over and over again.

And if there's any crying going on here it's those that state they have no time to drink beer. Why the heck are you here and brewing if you don't have time to drink?!?!? ;)

I don't think, nor expect a "score sheet", but some feedback would be appreciated. I think feedback is indeed a reason (if not the reason) why these swaps are put together. If my brew tasted like **** I want to know so I can figure out why. Otherwise I'm gonna keep brewing the same thing the same way over and over again.

And if there's any crying going on here it's those that state they have no time to drink beer. Why the heck are you here and brewing if you don't have time to drink?!?!? ;)

send me some beer i'll be brutally honest.

This beers best attribute imo is that it wasn't overly sweet, it had a nice balance. I tried a commercial example, Flying dogs Horn Dog and it was way to sweet for my taste. Anyways here's the best I can do for a review. Btw a bomber of this will smack your pants off!!
If you need interpretation of my chicken scratch let me know.

DSCN2168.jpg

Oh I have time to drink just not drink/judge and write up a review for it. Unless of course you're happy with a simple "i liked it or I hate it" review..

Like wildwest I am on a diet thus I'm not drinking on week nights. Trying to drop 70 pounds so I can race a full Ironman in 2011. :rockin:

I didn't care for the munich helles, although i've never had a commercial version so i don't know what to expect, I saved one to try if I can ever find a commercial munich helles.

Can you not get Spaten Premium or Warsteiner Premium or even Lowenbrau? All three of those are examples of Helles I can find even at Walmart here...

Can you not get Spaten Premium or Warsteiner Premium or even Lowenbrau? All three of those are examples of Helles I can find even at Walmart here...

Ha, ha your funny. I live in Sparta, Tennessee. Our most premium beer at walmart is Shocktop, Dos Equis(stay thirsty my friends) and Sam Adams . There is a small tobacco shop 35 miles away that sells a small quantity of decent beers, i'll try there.

This beers best attribute imo is that it wasn't overly sweet, it had a nice balance. I tried a commercial example, Flying dogs Horn Dog and it was way to sweet for my taste. Anyways here's the best I can do for a review. Btw a bomber of this will smack your pants off!!
If you need interpretation of my chicken scratch let me know.

DSCN2168.jpg

That's an awesome score sheet! I was about to ask where the heck you got it and then I saw the website in the corner of the picture. Gonna go print me off about 20! :)

As far as reviews of mine go, I've seen reviews for one of the varieties I sent from everybody who got them. I'm interested to hear what you guys thought of the one with vanilla beans added in secondary. I figured 1 bean in 1 gallon would be good, but a couple reviewers locally have said it's pretty overpowering.

A side note: I'm note a certified judge but I have been training under a couple with our local club. Mainly I don't have the time to study for the BJCP test to get certified. I still think I have a good palate and tasting skills. (feel free to send me samples for testing :D) A formal review isn't necessary, but Kilted has the right of it... If my beer tastes like crap, I'd like to know why so I can fix it.

Terje

TerapinChef's 999

22oz bottle is a killer, I might add...

Aroma

slight dark fruit notes, some hop nose but somewhat light

Appearance

1/2" head dissipates to a ring around the glass, brown-ish with red highlights

Flavor

nice dry finish, not overly sweet but to style, warming alcohol but not hot. good fermentation profile good balance of malt to hop

Mouthfeel

good carb, nice body but not malt cloying

Overall Impression

One of the better barleywines I've had

I've communicated with TC on the other beer in the package.

It's funny how we got keyboard lashed for not reviewing beers, reviewed said beers, and no reply back.:rolleyes:

I'm here, I'm here. I wasn't talking about my beer in particular. I just made a sheet of who had done reviews and who hadn't and I hung it by the computer and it looked very sad. I understand it's a big beer and all of those reasons that they're not done. I didn't expect any of my receipiants to run right to the fridge and review my barleywines. I just wanted to light the burner so at least the reviews might start trickling in. This thread is very dead when you think about the number of postings that it should have...by 2 months after 8/8/08 there were over 400 posts in the exchange thread. This one is just over 175, and at least 20 of them have been mine :)

It's funny how we got keyboard lashed for not reviewing beers, reviewed said beers, and no reply back.:rolleyes:
I did submit reviews of the two beers I recieved. Wildwest you probably had one of the Helles styles I made. It overcarbed in the bottle and was not as good as when it was young. A fresh Helles has a very good nice malt flavor to it. It's more mild than most homebrews, a lot of regular american style beer drinkers enjoy it. You just might be more into much more flavorful beers.

King Brian I

A: Great clarity, pours with little head, dissipates quickly, doesn't have legs, cream colored head while it lasted

A: good maltyness with dark fruits, some sourness , alcohol as well, no hops

T. good sherry like notes, some astringency, good alcohol warmth, some bitterness detected

M. Much thinner than I'd expected of a BW, drier

O good though not as much malt/sweet as I'd like from a BW

I'm going to try the other bottle sometime and re-review, seeing the other reviews from this BW make me think I may have gotten an off bottle.

figured this would be fun to revisit.

A: Dimished, still malty sweet, no alcohol though, no hops in the nose

T: fruityness, any fusel alcohols are gone, good bitterness to make it balanced

M: Still a bit thinner than I'd expect for BW but good, doesn't hit you in the face or stick to your tongue

O: Very nice, noticed I didn't have any sherry notes now (which is strange). Poured with more carbonation this time, had a head on it all the way to the bottom of the glass

I'll re-review Couvas' 999 sometime too

awesome, thanks conpewter. still no smoke in the flavor? that's weird! :) I'll be rereviewing the 999s I received closer to 9/9/10.

I've been getting ready to move and in going through old stuff, found a box of my 999s along with the three from my trade partners as well! I'll have to go back through this thread to figure out who they belong to but it might be cool to do a vertical tasting here 7-8 years later. It's been a while since I've had one of mine. Would anyone be interested in hearing/seeing the results?

Latest posts

Back