Chest freezer for fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidkid267

Reaction score
Hey Brewers,

I am looking into purchasing a chest freezer for a fermentation chamber so I can continue to brew in the HOT summer months (over 90 for days on end is not unusual here). When I eventually start kegging it will be turned into a keezer. I already ordered a two stage ranco from BBB to control the temps and I was wondering what you all would suggest to use as the warming device for the interior of the chest? I was considering a small space heater or a heating pad. Any thoughts?

If you are using a temp controller, why do you need to warm the interior of the freezer? Your internal temp will stay near the settings on the controller. I guess your question has me confused.

I'd say you're fine with just the temp controller unless the room temp is going to fall below 60-65 degrees. If an upright freezer is an option I'd consider it, for your backs sake.

A 40 watt light bulb puts out enough heat to warm a freezer up pretty quickly. I built a hot/cold temperature controller out of an aquarium controller from ebay. There is thread on hbt about that somewhere. Prior to that though, I bought a light timer at walmart for about $4 and just had the light come on 5 out of every 20 minutes. That kept the freezer warm enough in the winter.

I'd say you're fine with just the temp controller unless the room temp is going to fall below 60-65 degrees. If an upright freezer is an option I'd consider it, for your backs sake.

Exactly... That's what I did.

I have an upright refrigerator-only unit (Kenmore 16.7 cu ft) that I picked up new for about $600 including tax (free delivery). Added a Love controller, and now I have a four-carboy fermentation chamber maintaining 63 degrees (I still have to install the Love into the door so I can read it from the outside, and mount the probe properly).

Here's a crappy cell phone pic of the inside:

fermentationchamber.jpg

@Bach...I've heard , and I could have heard wrong, that a freezer cools so efficently that if you set your controller at a certain point that it will kick off at that point but the ambient cooled air will cool the brew a few degrees below the desired temp. The heat is set to kick on while the temp is falling and provides a "bottom" for the temps.

@JSomps...that is freaking awesome, just what I was looking for, thanks.

That's funny. I'm doing the same thing right now. 15 gal in my Sanke fermenter in a 7.2 cu ft Magic Chef. I made it as a keezer first, but didn't get a second one until a couple days ago, so my batch is fermenting in my keezer until I build another collar for the second one. I'm also going to get a third for my secondary.

On my fermenter everything is accessed on the top (bev/gas/thermowell,) except the bottom dump which I put on a 90 degree tri-clamp elbow. A butterfly valve is after that. This way it points out to the user when I want to dump yeast.

The most important thing, I think, for doing a chest freezer ferm chamber is that you MUST build one with the collar attached to the lid- so you can lift heavy vessels into it reasonably, in stead of over a collar.

I actually put my whole chest freezer on casters so I never have to lift a filled fermenter. I fill it at the brewhouse and then roll the whole chamber over to its place. Makes shaking it (and the starter) around to degas, etc., very easy too. Just get good casters (castercity.com). You can't do that with an upright (well, you could but..).

I'm so glad I chose not to do the upright freezer for 'my' specific ferm vessels. It is much more low profile, yet holds a ton of beer. My 15 gal secondary fits into it with room still for 4 5 gal cornys. Thats 35 gal of beer in a rollable package. Tight. I will have to make my collar a bit higher for that one (1 X 10, or so)

If you are going to do it this way, then here's a tip I think worth following:
If you make the collar out of 1 X 8 tongue and groove board, and then cut a 45 degree angles at the corners (like a picture frame) the grooves and tongues will line up perfectly so that you can just (if you measured right and cut well with a miter saw) wedge the tongue into the groove that the rubber seal goes in-- and then the rubber seal wedges into the groove on the collar (as seen in the pic). No glue at all. I just put a couple screws in to make sure, but it really holds tight by itself. And, I did nothing to the freezer that makes hard to convert back to just a freezer, should I want to sell it and get a different one .... for some reason (prob not going to happen...)

As you can see in the pic, I just bolted rigid pink insulation on the inside. The thing has incredible r-value and doesn't run the compressor much. Since it's such a small package and fits right around my fermenter like a glove, I can cold crash super easy/efficiently. It's almost like a jacketed fermenter the big boys use, at least in my mind :).

Edit: Guess I didn't mention that the 3 gal corny is the starter vessel and the yeast harvester.

P1000381.jpg

Exactly... That's what I did.

I have an upright refrigerator-only unit (Kenmore 16.7 cu ft) that I picked up new for about $600 including tax (free delivery). Added a Love controller, and now I have a four-carboy fermentation chamber maintaining 63 degrees (I still have to install the Love into the door so I can read it from the outside, and mount the probe properly).

Here's a crappy cell phone pic of the inside:

fermentationchamber.jpg

Cool! Thanks for the pic! I was just looking at that exact fridge at sears yesterday!

Cool! Thanks for the pic! I was just looking at that exact fridge at sears yesterday!

It was also quite easy to replace the existing thermostat with the Love controller; John Beere has a write-up on how to do it, but to make a long story short, all I had to do was tap into a neutral with a vampire tap, unplug the wires going into the existing temperature control, and crimp a couple lugs onto my wiring to plug into the wires I unplugged. Took all of about 30 minutes to rewire and test.

It was also quite easy to replace the existing thermostat with the Love controller; John Beere has a write-up on how to do it, but to make a long story short, all I had to do was tap into a neutral with a vampire tap, unplug the wires going into the existing temperature control, and crimp a couple lugs onto my wiring to plug into the wires I unplugged. Took all of about 30 minutes to rewire and test.

Which temp controller did u use?
I purchased the Ranco digital controller from Morebeer.

@Bach...I've heard , and I could have heard wrong, that a freezer cools so efficently that if you set your controller at a certain point that it will kick off at that point but the ambient cooled air will cool the brew a few degrees below the desired temp. The heat is set to kick on while the temp is falling and provides a "bottom" for the temps.

@JSomps...that is freaking awesome, just what I was looking for, thanks.

I have never heard that, could be true, however, I got thinking a blanket oughta be enough to stabilize the fermenter, that was my plan, however with my kegs in place, I had no room for a blanket.

So I pulled the trigger and bought the chest freezer and hooked it up on Saturday with the dual stage ranco and a heating pad for the "hot side". At the same time I made the usual starter for an nice IPA recipe I have. I used the starter as a test for the actual carboy full of brew. So I brewed yesterday, Sunday, and this morning the fermentation seemed to be holding steady @69-70 F. This is with the temp probe attached to the side of the carboy with some insulation on the outside and the probe sitting right against the the outside of the bottle and the heating pad taped loose to the opposite side. Plenty of good fermentation going on after about 8-9 hours after pitching yeast. To say the least I am happy with what I have put together, thanks for all the help.

Sounds like a great way to do it, I want to brew 3 or 4 brews at a time... what might be the best way to do this? I am thinking an up right freezer and keep the ambient temp a bit higher than the fridge temp.

Mine is a 7.0 cubic foot chest freezer and will just fit two 6gal carboys. The chest freezer will become a Keezer in the future and then an upright will take over the fermenting duties.

Is your 7 cubic foot this one from Home depot? http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=203547578

I wanted to know if that'll hold 2 carboys with the airlocks on them.

This is the one I'm thinking about getting too. How would I do a Lager and an Ale at the same time?

Thinking about putting a 1" Piece of installation foam between the fermenters with a heating pad on the Ale side and setting the Johnson Controller to ~55*. Would this work?

I have a 7 cube chest freezer that I ferment in. Will fit two 6.5 boys no problem. I use the fermwrap as well and have no problems holding 1 degree.

Back