Anyone ever drink Hop'n Gator, Malt Duck or Right Time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is from Maureen Ogle, the author of Ambitious Brew's blog. I was only 7 years old in '71 so I have never heard of any of these....But it's interresting how Lime Lager has made a comeback.

So do any of you "more seasoned" :D people remember these beer-like beverages?

The more things change. . .

In 1971, several small and regional brewing companies introduced new beers aimed at "young adults" who were willing to experiment with "all sorts of beverages of an alcoholic nature."

From Pittsburgh Brewing Company came "Hop'n Gator," described as "a distant cousin of Gatorade" but with 25% more alcohol than beer. (No word on how or why Hop'n qualified as a beer ...) National Brewing introduced Malt Duck.

Hamm Brewing launched "Right Time" two colors, red and gold. The red version, with a fruity sweet flavor was for "girls." The "tart" gold version was for "boys.". Hamm executives believed they had a hit on their hands: Early sales figures indicated that "Right Time" appealed to young drinkers, "blacks, Mexican-Americans, and to some people in the 50-to-60 set."

And then there was "Lime Lager" brewed by Lone Star Brewing Company of Texas. Lone Star aimed the new brew at the beer drinker who "doesn't like the taste of beer but likes lime."

As far as these small regional brewers were concerned, drinks like these were the key to survival. "We have to bring out new products or we'll be buried by the giants," explained one brewery representative.

And hey, apparently that Lime Lager was a good idea!

http://maureenogle.com/blog/

I found some images...

Hopn-Gator-Flavored-Beer-Cans-Self-Opening-10-12oz-Pittsburgh-Brewing-Company_29098-3.jpg

(Wow that is about as exciting as the generic white can with the black or blue "BEER" label.)

c2007_0322_182148.JPG

(Malt liquor & Cold Duck wine??? All you need is to mix it with mead and you got a midas touch clone j/k)

I can't find the other 2 mentioned, Righttime and Lone Stare Lime Lager.

One of my friends and I were just talking about drinking Right Time in the early 1970's. I wish they would bring it back

wow, I'm honored (and surprised) that you made your first post in this ancient thread...and glad that someone understood what I wrote about...as you can see by the huge number of responses......this thread went over like a lead balloon.

Welcome!

:mug:

I remember the 70's Right Time Malt Liq. great days. but i have never found anything as good as Hamm s Right Time. sure miss the great taste.

I remember Malt Duck, i was in my teens when drinking that. Early 80's. It was pretty good to me, it was a grape flavored beer. Had a light purple color to it. I liked it because it was different at the time, a different flavor of beer. They came out with apple duck later on, but it was not as big as the grape. I remember those came in quarts. I would buy it now still. Thanks.

I remember Hopin n Gator, loved it back in the 70's, it was stronger than 3.2 beer which was legal at 18, got many a young girl wasted on that stuff, went down smooth, came back up even smoother!

Does anybody remember Malt Duck well enough to actually brew it? (I can't remember if it had any hops or not) I can't find any recipes. I'm thinking, a lightly hopped (just bittering hops, maybe 15 IBU) light-colored ale using a yeast that doesn't attenuate well. (like Windsor, or most wine yeasts) Then prime with frozen concentrated grape juice. But I don't know if that's enough grape... It might need a little concord grape juice added during fermentation too.

I remember Hopin n Gator, loved it back in the 70's, it was stronger than 3.2 beer which was legal at 18, got many a young girl wasted on that stuff, went down smooth, came back up even smoother!
I drank more than my share of Hop n Gator in the early’70s ! No craft beer back then but the college women loved it, too!

Back