Hops in AL / Hops not cared for

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtg644w

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone ever grown hops in alabama? Also lets say that I had a well established crown, if I had hops in a field unattended, how much poorer would plant production be that properly cared for / trained hop vines?

I'm growing mine in MS along the coast. i have had 1 break soil so far; but the weather has been so up and down this year that i don't think its been warm enough for the hops to decide they want to get to growing.
naturally i think any that grow wild will not produce as well as a trimmed and trained vine. From what I understand, if there are too many shoots per plant, the plant won't be able to spend as much energy producing hops because it will have more vines and leaves to feed. Trim and train it and it can concentrate more on producing hops when the time comes.

I'm a Huntsvillian. Can't offer you retrospective advice because this is my first year growing, as well. I planted mine early last week and I'm already seeing buds coming through the soil. However, with last night's freeze I'm hoping they didn't get hurt too much. I covered them with painter's plastic to fend the cold. Whereabout the state are you?

Homebrewing is legal in Alabama. what freethehops is refering too is the law in AL that says beer sales are limited to beer with 5.5% or less ABV. Freethehops is trying to get the law changed since hard liquors are available that offer much more alcohol content then that.

So, basically all he has to do is get rid of the heavy beers, and he'll be compliant. I'll also bet that the board only wants to read him the laws, and get him to sign that he understands. Once that is confirmed, he'll probalby be left alone. I'm betting will serve as his warning, and they hope he stops breaking the law. The next time they hear about him, they have solid legal course of action.

I can't believe anyone is concerned about teenage drinking and dying, over homebrew.

1. It's not cheap. There are lots of MUCH cheaper beers out there.
2. It's not tasty (to them). When kids are starting out, they want "Soda", not beer.
3. It's hard to get. Even harder than asking your older buddy or brother to pick some up at the corner store.
4. Sheesh...

Actually Alabama is limited by alcohol content (6% and below) as well as volumetrically (nothing above 16 fl oz...convenient since 500 ml=16.95 fl oz). And yes, there is a law restricting homebrewing in alabama, albeit not completely dissallowing it. We (Freethehops) are currently attempting to address the ABV and homebrewing issues in this year's legislative sessions. We currently have the following bills on the floor: HB196 and SB116 to increase ABV to 13.9% and SB355 to reform homebrewing laws. We will address the volume issue next year--baby steps.

EDIT: Oh yeah, here's a breakdown of where we currently are with our bills: http://www.freethehops.org/featuredcontent/thesteps.php#ABV

thanks for clearing that up, I am still, and desire to continue my residency in alabama. hopefully laws will change before I return

Homebrewing is legal in Alabama. what freethehops is refering too is the law in AL that says beer sales are limited to beer with 5.5% or less ABV. Freethehops is trying to get the law changed since hard liquors are available that offer much more alcohol content then that.

Actually, home brewing is a Misdemeanor, class A (I believe) with a 1 year jail and $2000 fine.

http://www.alahomebrewing.org/

This is EXACTLY why I refuse to brew anything alcoholic! I simply brew a yeast-based nutritional supplement. :fro:

Back