American Pale Ale Vail Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne1

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
1187 Ringwood
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 20C
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 4C
Vail Pale Ale

11 lbs. American 2-row malted barley
1 lb. 60L crystal malt
1 oz. Centennial hop pellets (90 min)
1 oz. Centennial hop pellets (30 min)
1 oz. Cascade hop pellets (10 min)
1 oz. Cascade hop pellets (1 min)
1 oz. Cascade hop flowers (3 weeks in secondary)

Mash grains at 158 F for 90 minutes

For extract, sub 7 lbs. Light dry malt extract for 2-row

GOLD Medal Winner 1992, 1994, 1995 GABF India Pale Ale

You know, Wayne, it's funny. I was paging through my old brewing notebook, and I found an IPA I made sometime in the early '90's, around '93 or '94.

It was an extract clone (I have no clue who by) of "Wayne Waananen's Vail Pale Ale."

My notes say it was pretty good.

I'm glad you tried it out. I was giving away 5 gallon recipe sheets for the beers at beer fests, so homebrewers could try them out.

Maybe you picked one up at GABF.

I also posted a variation of the recipe on HBD in '95.

I brewed this up a week ago tomorrow as my first ever all-grain brew. I figured I'd let you know, Wayne1, as both a point of interest, and a nod-of-the-cap to what is sure to be a delicious recipe.

Many thanks for posting it - a big help to a newbie like me.

For what it's worth, after week one, things are bubbling away sweetly and everything looks amazing. I'll probably just let it settle out in primary at 20C for the full month and then carefully bottle. I'm not as concerned about clarity, and if I'm lucky, this will be plenty clear after that long anyways.

Looking forward to letting everyone know how it turns out.

I brewed this about two weeks ago, been in secondary for about 6 days on the dry hops at about 68F. I was wondering whether or not to cold crash this one before the keg?

My suggestion would be to rack it off the hops into another vessel, drop the temp., add finings, let it sit for a couple of days and then keg it.

That way the beer should be fairly bright when it is ready to pour.

Thanks Wayne, only problem is I do not have a tertiary vessel...yet. So I'm just a little apprehensive since I've never cold crashed/kegged before on what I should do.

Thanks
Kyle

Go ahead and just put the secondary in your fridge. Keep it at around 40F for a couple of days. Add finings and wait a couple more days. Then carefully rack it into your keg.

You may get some yeast and hop sludge the first beer or two, but then it should clear up.

Good luck and thanks for trying the recipe.

I made this on Saturday, they didn't have ringwood so I just used safale us-05 yeast. My OG was 1.070 I am not sure why. It smells super good :mug:

Enjoy it! Lately I have been using a lot of West Yorkshire Wyeast #1469. That is a great yeast.

If you have only choices of dry yeast, go for an English strain like US04 or Windsor.

They all will make good beer.

Thanks for trying the recipe,

Enjoy it! Lately I have been using a lot of West Yorkshire Wyeast #1469. That is a great yeast.

If you have only choices of dry yeast, go for an English strain like US04 or Windsor.

They all will make good beer.

Thanks for trying the recipe,

Oh they also had the vials of yeast, they just didn't carry wyeast brand. They had US-04, I should have asked before I brewed it, but I think this will turn out just fine as well. I will post here when it is done!

And here I am 6 years later trying to reproduce this recipe :)
I didn't hit the OG, I reached only 1.048.
Could you guys help figuring out where I messed up?

I stepped everything down to a 5L batch (1,32 gal). I mashed the grain in 5L in a mash tun and then collected the wort, sparging with the necessary water at 170F to top up to 5L again.
I then boiled the wort and compensated the evaporation with the necessary water to top up to 5L again.

The grain was stepped down so the grain/volume ratio was the same.

Thanks a lot!

J.

What is the efficiency of your system? How much are you able to boil? What is your after boil volume.

That recipe is a step down from roughly 10hl batch. Let me know your numbers and I will to calculate a grain bill that might work out better.

Cheers,
Wayne

What is the efficiency of your system? How much are you able to boil? What is your after boil volume.

That recipe is a step down from roughly 10hl batch. Let me know your numbers and I will to calculate a grain bill that might work out better.

Cheers,
Wayne
Wow! That was fast!
This is my third batch ever, but the last one I managed to hit the OG using the same procedure. I read into brewhouse efficiency just now, so I can't really help you there :/
I can tell you that the maximum volume I can boil is 5L since that's the pot I have (and it will be like that for a while since we are in lockdown in Spain). After 90' of boiling I lost around 2L.
I hope that's enough, thanks for your time Wayne, much appreciated.

J.

Back