The Official WHMBP Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I made it home!!!!!
We finally got out of there....21hrs 36min 54secs of traveling time and now I'm home.
I came home to snow on the ground and it's 17 degrees outside right now...DAMN!!!!
Hopefully I'll be able to get some sleep finally.
I've been up since 0130 and I think it's time to drink a beer....I'm going to drink more than 3 thats for sure!!!!

Thanks!!!
I'll be brewing this week for sure.
Hopefully I'll have something drinkable to send to the next guy coming home.

Cool.
I'm brewing today hopefully. I've been crazy busy since I got back.
Got back and we've had Exercises since...prepping for an ORI!?
I can't believe we still have them, don't we deploy enough to prove we know how?
Anyway, hopefully I'll have something done for you.

Let me just say this is a great idea you guys have. I've been lurking for a while.

I found this place a couple years ago when I started to gather the equipment to start home brewing. I decided while I was on my last deployment to pick up brewing. Obviously, some google searches brought me here. I wasn't able to get too far into it before I got caught up in several other time consuming endeavors...including my current deployment to Afghanistan. Lets see...I pretty much got as far as bottles, bottle washers, and a six-drawer sidepull filing cabinet for organization. So, not far at all.

Now I've been researching my keezer build-up. My wife is picking up a Craigslist 23 cu ft Kenmore for me today. $200. Not bad. My plan is to start out with 4 faucets plus a nitro setup for a total of 5 faucets. It'll be filled with commercial stuff (Guinness, Smithwick's, for sure) until I figure out all this home brewing business.

Sure this isn't the normal forum to stop lurking and introduce myself, but I just wanted say thanks for your support on behalf of all the soldiers over here.

And doug...I hope you made it out of Virginia. I was stuck there for over a week at the end of my last deployment...

Fort McCoy!
Only 2 days in Virginia. Kuwait was kind enough to give us one last sand storm before we left:)
I should be home home...in about a week:mug:

I sent my wife on a few craigslist missions too. Good luck in Afgahn Xtant!

This is a great idea. I am proud to say that I am a Homebrewer and a member of this community. I am not quite ready to deploy, need to finish flight school first. Until then I would love to share some brew with a fellow soldier.

I am a U.S. Marine currently deployed to Afghanistan. I should becoming home in a little less than 2 months. I am going to get into home brewing when i get back. I have my wife picking stuff up for me that I find on CL. Thanks for the support and giving me lots and lots of reading material!

Psurichie,

Did you make it back as scheduled? I hope you found what you needed to get started on CL and got it all. I'm making a trip out to the east coast here in a bit and will be happy to bring some suds with me on my trip to share. I've bounced at KNKT many times in the past.

Hope you found what you were looking for and made it back in one piece. The sandbox is a b1tch.

~Wm

I posted this in our returning SSgt's thread, but I thought it might get some more visibility here:

All,

I had an idea tonight. For those that cannot give our returning warriors a beverage of choice, perhaps instead we could donate towards the member's annual or lifetime fee for the site. Win win, right? No shipping, no bottling, no bad skunky beer from sitting in the non-airconditioned stupid Oklahoma Post Office for days at a time without being handled, just sitting there......... Alas, I digress.

Look at the individuals' profile, left side, halfway down, and donate a few bucks via paypal. Keeps the site running, and keeps the member coming back with added benefits. Now I just have to save up for my own membership...

V/r,
~Wm

I am currently deployed in support of Operation New Dawn and Operation Enduring Freedom. I spend almost all of my down time (what little I have) perusing the forum. I can’t wait to get home (5 months to go :mad:) and start brewing again.

WOW, Awesome idea! I've been milling around here for some time now and just noticed this link on BigKahuna's footer thing and thought, "wow, good timing for me to find this", I'm deploying here in Jan. and didn't even think about how much I'm going to miss "real" beer. After home brewing I haven't been able to enjoy a store bought beer for quite a while. Don't get me wrong, I'll still drink it if its free and even buy it if I'm OUT of my own and its a good stout. Oh, how I'll miss a real beer! PS, is this program still running?

Is this still going? I just found the link. I can't believe this thread. It is going to take me a while to get through it all. Starting on post three now.

I am a U.S. Marine currently deployed to Afghanistan. I should becoming home in a little less than 2 months. I am going to get into home brewing when i get back. I have my wife picking stuff up for me that I find on CL. Thanks for the support and giving me lots and lots of reading material!

Psurichie,

Did you get back yet? I am assuming you were in the Helmand area. Just wanted to get a go/no go status on ya. I am in the South near Kandahar.

I am currently deployed in support of Operation New Dawn and Operation Enduring Freedom. I spend almost all of my down time (what little I have) perusing the forum. I can’t wait to get home (5 months to go :mad:) and start brewing again.

LOBO! I am deployed out of Bliss, as West Texas goes we are practically neighbors. Are you in Kuwait? You are a lot farther into your deployment than I am, if you are doing a year. I am under 40 weeks left as of today. I am 25 percent of the way through my deployment.

My brew cycle is still running full steam since SWMBO took over the stir spoon. If you make it out EP way in Mid-March when you are back send me a PM. I have a barley wine that should be able to power an A-10 aging as we speak.

Hey sorry it took so long to reply. I am back in the states now still piecing together everything. I got most of the stuff i need to do ag, I was up near Delaram and now zad in Helmand. Hope your doing good I was in kadahar for a bit terrible place just like the rest of the country. Stay safe!

It isn't so bad here. I have been many places that are a lot worse than this place. Take away the rocket attacks and this would be like a vacation. Get some beer brewed and decompress. We all know you can end up here quickly so enjoy your "downtime"

Speaking of neighbors Frank, I am stationed at Huachuca, currently on Victory though.

I was there last deployment. My office was next to Z-Lake on the PX side near the intersection.

I work over near the palace... but participate in the 10 and 5 km runs in that area pretty regularly. I was here for a week 5 years ago too, things are easier but honestly layout and ammenities haven't changed much even in that amount of time.

Psurichie,

Did you get back yet? I am assuming you were in the Helmand area. Just wanted to get a go/no go status on ya. I am in the South near Kandahar.

Just returned a month ago from Sperwhan Ghar in South Kandahar. Not a nice place. I had planned exactly what my first brew would be and I used the California Common recipe out of one of the BYO mags that was sent to me while I was over there. I ordered the supplies from the computers when I was in KAF and I brewed my first weekend I was home. I just bottled it about a week ago and it looks great. Can't wait to get some down range. Also have a Maplfein or whatever it's called on the go with another buddy from my section I got into homebrewing. I got the recipe off the site but so far it looks great.

I know this is an old thread but I think the initial idea is great and extremely giving to those who serve. So to all those volunteers for this idea, thanks for supporting those who serve.

I am new to WHMBP so I wasn't aware about the effort to have homebrew for returning Solders. My son is currently home on R&R and will be returning to Iraq in a few days. I made my first batch of homebrew in 20 years and, happily, it was ready to drink when he got here. When his current deployment ends a new batch of blueberry mead should be ready to drink. Its my first try at a melomel so I hope it turns out OK.

Welcome back skin chops - I was fortunate enough to get back last September. But you got back in time for a beautiful CA summer! Enjoy it!

I just got back last September and wish I homebrewed before I left. This is just one more reason why this site is awesome. Thanks to all who volunteer there time (and beer) to those who serve.

Is this thread still active? Are we still supporting our troops coming home from deployment?

Was just curious because I sent an email to [email protected] and it was returned to my email. I am currently deployed in Kandahar Afghanistan and will be returning in mid January. I will post the email sent if we are still actively engaged in this program.

Thanks, please let me know.

Brian

Back