Will these work for hops storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm too cheap and lazy to buy a vacuum sealer. I thought it might be nice to make 80 1-ounce packages of hops. Otherwise, I'll probably just keep them in 5 ziplock bags in the freezer. I figure I can use them up in the next 18 mos or so.

You can get a FoodSaver pretty damn cheap if you shop the sales. The ziploc pseudo-vacuum things do an ok job for hops, too - it beats just plain ziploc, at least. I think the new ones say "sous vide" on them (which hints at the actual reason I picked up my FoodSaver)

I use a food saver with the mason jar attachment.

I read somewhere on here that making foodsaver bags to store hops in average about 40 cents a piece. I figure buying 12 quart mason jars and sealing those will pay off in the long run, plus I dont have to make a zillion one or two ounce bags, which gives me more time to brew :)

Also, a pound of hops fits perfectly in the quart jars. Try to get HopUnion hops, I swear their pound sacks have an extra ounce or two.

Sous vide is a French way of boiling meat,poultry,etc in the vacuum sealed bag to get it done tender before other cooking methods are applied to them. So it can use the plastic designed for heat processes.

I think the food saver would be a decent idea, but if I understand it correctly, I'd need a bag for each 1oz of hops. 28 bags are $9 on amazon. Most of the hops I bought are $7 a pound. The bags would be half again as much as the hops were originally.

I lake the mason jar idea. Does the vacuum device add much to just using the jars?

Foodsaver + Roll of self cut bags
Remove needed "hops" ,from "original" shipped bag.
Put leftover hops+original bag in FoSav- Bag and seal''
Need more of that hop, Open-remove-seal.
I do it, no need to break a pound to 16 individual bags.

These seem like an interesting idea. That being said, I don't know much about storing hops. I know I should keep them in my freezer but that's about it. Is it bad if I put my hops in a mason jar without taking out the oxygen? I tried to seal the bag and then put the bag in a mason jar and threw it in the freezer.
Sorry for the off topic. I just want to know if I should purchase some of these when I buy bulk hops.

Sous vide is a French way of boiling meat,poultry,etc in the vacuum sealed bag to get it done tender before other cooking methods are applied to them. So it can use the plastic designed for heat processes.
Yes - also eggs. Eggs at 148 deg. for 30-45min, crack onto toast, delicious. (no bags necessary)

Back