Fermentation Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chirodoccm

Reaction score
I am relatively new to this brewing experience (4 batches of extract so far). I have spent alot of time reading and trying to understand the best procedures and I see alot of refrences to fermentation temp being one of those "important" things to getting good results.

Now is there a certain temp that is best period no matter what?

Does it matter specifically what you are brewing, what yeast ect ect that you are using?

The generic instructions that come with the extract kits I have used so far give a pretty basic temp range, something like 68-75.

I am really enjoying this hobby so far, and want to get better.

Hi Chiro. You are right that 'optimum' fermentation temp can vary based on many factors, but generally, for most of the ales I brew, I aim for low to mid 60s, with 68 being the highest I go. Cheers!

Jim

Yes, fermentation temperature is important. The generic guideline you cite (68-75) is generally correct for ale yeasts. However each specific yeast strain has a temperature range that it prefers to work in. For example, I have an APA in the fermenter now using US-05. I'm holding it between 66 and 68, and the yeast are just fine.

If you look at the package of yeast you're using, or at the manufacturers web site, you should be able to find the optimum temperature range you're after. But don't stress *too* much about getting right on. Get as close as you can, and then hold the temperature as steady as possible.

Brian

Every yeast strain has an optimal range. The closer you get to the middle of that range, the better your results will be. Cooler and you may not get full attenuation, warmer and you may get off flavors such as esters (not necessarily a bad thing for some styles).

For ales, a good "rule of thumb" temperature is 68°F. Most ale yeasts do well at that temperature. Lagers should be a bit cooler. But it's always a good idea to research the yeast you're working with - Wyeast and White Labs have information on their websites about optimal ranges for each strain they sell.

Hi Chiro. You are right that 'optimum' fermentation temp can vary based on many factors, but generally, for most of the ales I brew, I aim for low to mid 60s, with 68 being the highest I go. Cheers!

Jim

thanks for the quick reply.

lowering the temp from say the higher end (75) to mid to low 60's would that increase fermenting time? If so is that how it gives better results? I am sure I am not the only one who tries to rush things at the begining, but my thought obviously on the first few has been higher fermentation temp = faster fermentation = faster drinking lol.

Now I am getting where I have a keg or two in the fridge and some bottles left from my first batch so it is more about increasing quality and enjoyment than needing immediate results.

You know, this is something I've been wondering about as well. My current primary is using WLP013, which has an optimum range of 66-71°F, so I'll use that as an example.

Would best practice be to set the chamber to say 68°F, right in the middle of the range, or to set it lower, say 66°F, to account for the heat generated by the fermentation?

I've only kept things in the middle usually and haven't found any off-flavors yet. But maybe they could be better if kept cooler?

Ferment temp depends on the yeast being used. The ale yeast supplied with the Original Series (usually expressed as OS on forums) from Cooper's is said by them to tolerate 18C-32C. Nope,wrong,only in the sense that the higher range produces fruity esters & various fusel alcohols. I keep the temps for that one down to 20C-22C for best results.
But that's true of any yeast,generally. Just keep close to the minimum temp of the yeast used,& you'll get cleaner tasting beers. It's amazing how fast you can learn from experiences when you keep good notes. I just use a 1 subject note book from the grocery store. And read,read,read. Apply what you've learned so far to what you're reading,& it all becomes clearer as you go along. Hope that clears things up a little. :drunk::mug: *PS-you guys are fast. There were no replies when I started typing. lolz

thanks for the quick reply.

lowering the temp from say the higher end (75) to mid to low 60's would that increase fermenting time? If so is that how it gives better results? I am sure I am not the only one who tries to rush things at the begining, but my thought obviously on the first few has been higher fermentation temp = faster fermentation = faster drinking lol.

Now I am getting where I have a keg or two in the fridge and some bottles left from my first batch so it is more about increasing quality and enjoyment than needing immediate results.

As Shawn and Union said above, the higher temps will often increase the off-flavors in your beer. Healthy yeast, the right amount of yeast, plus a good environment for your yeast (including oxygen) and the right temp will make a huge difference in the quality of your beer.

Time and patience will make a difference, too. I usually leave a beer in primary three to four weeks. If I'm using a bright tank or secondary, another week or two there, before bottling.

Cheers!

Jim

I've been in the hobby only a little longer than you, but I think there are some pretty good rules of thumb to follow:

-- When given a desired temperature range, generally trying to stick to the cooler end of the spectrum is better for two reasons. Usually slightly lower temps will lessen the risk of the growth of compounds that form undesirable flavors (such as diaceytl in lagers), and because fermentation generates kinetic energy inside the carboy, the actual temperature of the liquid will be +/- 5 degrees higher than the ambient temperature.

-- Consistency of temperature is more important than average temperature (within reason, of course). Better to ferment at a 68 degrees with a variation of +/- 1 degree than at an average of 64 with daily variation of +/- 5 degrees. Less stress on the yeast without the risk of some of the cells dropping out too early because they briefly get too hot or cold.

Different yeasts have different temperature requirements, and some can handle larger variations than others. US-05 is a great ale yeast that is easy to use and can handle a very wide range of fermentation temperatures. Then you can put your fermenting beer just about anywhere with a good, consistent temperature and not have to worry too much about it. Great for a beginning extract brewer like myself.

Latest posts

Back