Masking esters with fruits in the second?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RomanNumeral

Reaction score
If fermentation happened for two days at a temperature higher than the recommended ale temperature for fermentation and esters were released would it be possible to mask thise off flavors with tart or citrus fruit in the second?

I wouldn't try to mask any esters you may have made. Esters are a necessary and acceptable part of ale production. I love esters and ferment almost all of my beers in the high 70s/low 80s.

That said, esters are generally slightly fruity. Adding fruit to something fruity won't make it less fruity, it'll just highlight and accentuate the esters.

Learn from the esters and pehnols. If you want to train your palate, you'll need to be able to pick them out and describe them and troubleshoot them. Don't cover them up. you may find they're rather pleasant.

That said, at what point in the fermentation (also how long overall?) did these two days happen and at what temp? Might not even be an issue.

For my first two AG's, I had no temp control and fermented at 70F ambient. I noticed nothing. My last beer is a Belgian which I forced to ferment in the 80's. So there's a LOT in that one. YUM!

I wouldn't try to mask any esters you may have made. Esters are a necessary and acceptable part of ale production. I love esters and ferment almost all of my beers in the high 70s/low 80s.

That said, esters are generally slightly fruity. Adding fruit to something fruity won't make it less fruity, it'll just highlight and accentuate the esters.

This.

Back