Trying something new tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decojuicer

Reaction score
I'm brewing my Schwartzbier tomorrow, and I think that I am going to try somethings a little different.

First, I had the LHBS grind my grain a lot finer than usual. Usually they grind at about a 38, and I had them grind this batch at a 27. It probably isn't that much of a difference, but I want to see if it will affect my efficiency.

Second, I'm going to try to spare a completely different way. I have been using kind of a modified batch/fly sparge. What I would do is take a pie plate and slowly pour my sparge water over it to distribute it. Tomorrow, I'm either going to do a straight up batch sparge, OR I'm going to set up a red neck 3 tier system(I'll post pics if I do it. You'll all laugh) and just add the sparge water at approximately the same rate as I drain it.

I'm thinking that doing these 2 things will bring my efficiency up considerably from the 70% that I have been hitting. The only problem might be that the beer will be to strong. But at least I can adjust my grain bill for the next batch.

What do you all think about this. Should I do both at once, or one at a time so that I can tell WHICH change affect my efficiency best?

I was just gonna call you (I was cooking dinner when you called and didn't here the phone.)

Try this, when I showed Joe how to brew AG we rigged an even more ghetto version of this up at his house...It worked great...I keep forgetting about rigging one up at my place...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/fly-sparge-drip-bucket-77756/

It's supposed to be a nasty icestorm day tomorrow, and it's my last day off before going back to work...I'm gonna stay close to the house and get ready for monday (since I've been off for 15 days so far, I have to do laundry and crap) I might brew a 2.5 gallon batch of something with all the scrap crap I have lying around the house...

I'll give you a call during the brew to see how's it going..

Try the bucket...It rocks :mug:

As it turns out, I am far to hung over to brew today. I may get as far as cleaning and sanitation, but that could be pushing it.

I have taken 2 showers, a nap, and drank a bunch of Gatorade. I'm hoping that it goes away by dinner time. If so, I'll get everything ready and set up to brew tomorrow. Then I can start brewing right after breakfast.

Well, even though my brew day got completely f'ed up at the very end, it was very productive in terms of being a learning experience.

As promised, here are the pics of my redneck 3 tier brewing sculpture.

Redneck3tier.jpg

Redneck3tier2.jpg

Redneck3tier3.jpg

In the last pic, you can see the magazines and phone book that were being used to level the cooler. I spilled a little bit of water when I was filling it, and it pretty much ruined those magazines.

Worked pretty damn well too. I wish that I could have gotten a S.G. reading to find out what my efficiency was.

Oh yeah, the Heinikin mini keg in the background was a door prize that I got at my work Christmas party. I tapped it and had one glass. That stuff is freakin vile.

Back