When you bottle from the keg/tap...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brrman

Reaction score
How high do you fill the bottle? All the way to the top?

I am going to use the "low-psi, hose-on-the-tap" method. If I left headspace in the neck of the bottle wouldn't that encourage CO2 to come out of suspension, flattening the beer?

thanks
Brr

I fill about to the very top, then pull out the racking tube = perfect fill(usually). I'll roll the bottle just a bit to generate a little foam, then cap on top of the foam.

the beauty of that is that most if not all the 02 is forced out of the bottle pre-capping. Then, after the cap is on and the foam dies back down, perfect headspace, no O2.

SilverKing, are you filling from the keg? I am specifically wondering about bottling already carbonated beer - if I leave headspace, will it promote a flat beer over time?

yep. bottling carbed beer from the keg. The head space left in the bottle isn't enough room for the beer to de-gas. By the time I cap it, the neck is essentially full of CO2 already. Once I cap it, not much more leaves the beer.

It helps to have cold lines, and ICE cold bottles to fill. Keep the CO2 in the beer during the process. works great.

BM Beer Gun
COLD lines
COLD bottles
slow, controlled fill
-------------------

= great bottled beer right from the keg

SilverKing, are you filling from the keg? I am specifically wondering about bottling already carbonated beer - if I leave headspace, will it promote a flat beer over time?

I don't strive for any headspace when filling from a Keg - I wind up with maybe 1cm. Not from the point of view of "flattening the beer" which I don't feel is a significant problem but for eliminating as much oxygen as possible. Headspace provides a good shock absorber when bottle conditioning (ie protection against bottles breaking if you overprimed) but is not needed in pouring off a keg except for a very small space (about one cm) for thermal expansion.

when I fill for my own consumption, I don't sweat the head space too much. However, when filling a bottle for competition, I try to "make it look good".:cross:

Any need to sanitize bottles if planing on drinking that night, I plan on doing the bottle fill from keg for the first time tonight to take to a friends. Just gonna do 6, Most likely gonna drink all 6. Plan is just to rinse bottles. No Sanitizing. seem ok?

I would say that if you plan to drink that evening then sanitizing is probably not needed as long as they are clean...

Any need to sanitize bottles if planing on drinking that night, I plan on doing the bottle fill from keg for the first time tonight to take to a friends. Just gonna do 6, Most likely gonna drink all 6. Plan is just to rinse bottles. No Sanitizing. seem ok?

yeah, no worries. just clean 'em good.

Thanks, All my stuff get's stored and fermented in the tiny furnace room of our basement:smile:

I botteled up a 6 pack and although it didn't go the smoothest (read: knocked my first filled bottle off the 4 ft stool on the floor) it worked out good. Have to say it was neat drinking my homebrew out of a bottle without concern of continuously tipping back and forth and sediment! Not to mention everyone enjoyed my Scottish 60 and one of the guys there said he'd been thinking bout it and after tasting mine said, 'I'm DOING IT!". That makes ya feel good. So I of course told him, if you're gonna do it right, go to homebrewtalk.com. It will ruin your life, but get you great beer.

+1 on the great brewery name :"The Furnace Room Brewing Co."

I think many of us are in the same boat. Mine would be : Geothermal Heat Pump Room Brewing Co. :)

Not as catchy

dp

Back