Blending beers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzal8

Reaction score
Anyone do it?

I was listening to a Sunday Session today at work and Jamil said he has heard of people blending Bigfoot(25%) and SNPA(75%), and it turns out tasting like a IIPA. I think I will definitely give that a try just for fun.

I know in the BYO clone guide, the recipe for Newcastle is a blend of two different beers. Though I'm not sure I'd ever go through the trouble of blending two beers I brewed unless I was doing something with sour beers.

I am more just wondering if anyone has experimented with blending Beers with Beers or even Beers with Liquor. Haha in highschool we had our Keystone Mandarin Lights (Keystone + Bicardi O)

I have mixed Bell's Java Stout and Expedition for a delicious dessert beer. It took several tries before I found the right balance but then it was pretty damn tasty. If you do this, make sure to use less of the Java because it seemed to be overpowering.

Beer mixed with liquor? You must have avoided a mis-spent youth. Drop a shot of Ten High into a big draft for a Depth Charge (the shot on the side makes it a Boilermaker of course). My son tells me of the horrifying-sounding Irish Car Bomb, a shot of Bailey's dropped into a pint of Guinness. To each his own I guess...

My son tells me of the horrifying-sounding Irish Car Bomb, a shot of Bailey's dropped into a pint of Guinness. To each his own I guess...

Its actually a shot of half jameson and half bailey's dropped into a guinnes and chugged. Its good fun and a horrible idea if you have to be productive to do the next morning :drunk:

At the Dogfish Alehouse by me a bartender suggesting having a "75 minute IPA." It was equal parts of their 60 and 90 and it was quite good. When I visited Grand Rapids I had lunch at Cambridge House which had something called the espresso break. It was a vanilla porter with some espresso vodka added. It was pretty good, rather sweet though. It was rather pricey on the menu, but they had $2 pints on ALL drafts when I went so I tried it out hehe. I have to say, any place that devotes 8 pages out of a 10 page menu to alcohol is A-OK in my book.

Last weekend I had Speedway Stout mixed with Cantillon Framboise. I've also done it with Lindemanns Framboise.

I blended a porter and an IPA that I had as well. It was better blended than they were separate, so that's all that really mattered to me because neither came out right.

I also blended a belgian strong with a stout I made once, but only in a few glasses to try it out. It was also pretty damn good. Blending rules.

The Flying Saucer here in Columbia, SC does about ten different beer blends. My favorite is Dark Side of the Moon which is Guinness and Blue Moon. :mug: They have some cider and beer mixtures too.

Irish Train Wreck. Pitcher of Guinness 1/2 a Whiskey glass of Jameson and 1/2Whiskey glass of Bailey's. That will end your night real quick.

I've been blending since I started kegging.
I've found its a good way to get my BMC friends to try my Old Ales, Winter Warmers and ESBs. I keep a keg of american wheat (made with Maris Otter) on hand most of the time, and will blend a little of that in my stronger beers. After a while they are asking me for the real thing.

When I started kegging I asked the same question and was told to go for it.
"Just Don't cross the streams"

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=47923

Its actually a shot of half jameson and half bailey's dropped into a guinnes and chugged. Its good fun and a horrible idea if you have to be productive to do the next morning :drunk:

If your gonna do a carbomb don't make your own...I have done it and id doesn't taste nearly as good as getting on off the tap. It might even taste better with a home brewed Dry Irish stout because guinness doesn't actually have THAT much flavor. If anyone has seen the recipe in the 150 clones by byo the recipe is kind of bleak as far as flavored specialty grains go.

If your gonna do a carbomb don't make your own...I have done it and id doesn't taste nearly as good as getting on off the tap. It might even taste better with a home brewed Dry Irish stout because guinness doesn't actually have THAT much flavor. If anyone has seen the recipe in the 150 clones by byo the recipe is kind of bleak as far as flavored specialty grains go.

If you find yourself in a situation where you are guzzling carbombs, I doubt that savoring the delicate balance between malt and hops are your main priorities :D

At the Dogfish Alehouse by me a bartender suggesting having a "75 minute IPA." It was equal parts of their 60 and 90 and it was quite good. When I visited Grand Rapids I had lunch at Cambridge House which had something called the espresso break. It was a vanilla porter with some espresso vodka added. It was pretty good, rather sweet though. It was rather pricey on the menu, but they had $2 pints on ALL drafts when I went so I tried it out hehe. I have to say, any place that devotes 8 pages out of a 10 page menu to alcohol is A-OK in my book.

I didn't know about the Cambridge House! Thank you for posting this. Now to find time to get down there and check it out!:mug:

At a recent beer festival, it was recommended to me to blend a barleywine with a robust porter....

DELICIOUS!

The barleywine eased some of the porter's burnt notes, while the porter cut some of the barleywine's sweetness.

Too bad I don't have any of either variety on hand right now. Sounds like I need to plan some recipes.

Back