Fiat Tire - Extract w/steep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuPuma

Reaction score
From Meriam-Webster.com Fiat 1. a command or act of will that creates something without or as if without further effort. 2. an authoritative determination.

Although this doesn't describe how I came up with this recipe, it does describe my search for a solid Fat Tire recipe. It seems like many of the recipes out there have been created by the sheer will of the brewer, but without much consistency. I've seen various recipes that called for Summit, Willamette, Hallertau, Magnum, Northern Brewer, EKG, and Fuggles. Some have long grain bills, others just have half a pound of carapils.

Without finding much consistency in many of the recipes out there, I've authoritatively determined that this is the recipe I'm going to make. I've assembled what I've determined are the most consistently used ingredients from more than half a dozen recipes, and posts I've perused. But, in the spirit of democracy, I would really like some feedback from more enlightened brewers. If you have suggestions, there are much appreciated.

Steep 40 minutes
1⁄2 lb Briess Victory Malt crushed grain
1⁄2 lb Munton Crystal 60L crushed grain
1/2 to 3/4 lb Biscuit (I asked for 1/2 lb at LHBS, they had 3/4 lb left and gave that to me charging for only the 1/2. I'm leaning towards using the full 3/4.)
1 to 3 oz. Choc. Wheat Malt (probably going to use 2 oz.)

Boil 6.5 gallons
3 LB Light DME For 60 minutes.
3 lb Amber DME for 30 minutes

Hops
.75 oz Northern Brewer whole @ 60 min (8%) (I might knock this down to .5 and the Hersbrucker up to 1.0 - I lose about 5 IBUs, but maybe thats a good thing...)
.75 oz Hersbrucker pellets @ 15 min (2.2%)
.25 oz Willamette pellets @ 5 min (4.6%)
.25 oz willamette pellets at flamout (4.6%)

Yeast -- Wyeast 1792 New Belgium Phat Tyre (starter two days before brew day)

From tasybrew:
OG 1.058
FG 1.015
IBU 26 (21 with .5 wilmette/1.0 hersbrucker)
SRM 15
ABV 5.5

What say ye?
:mug:

i kicked the keg on this recipe a couple weeks ago. this recipe is basically the BYO recipe with a few tweaks. pretty much spot on to fat tire except it came out a little sweeter. also i'd add a bit more biscuit malt than what this recipe has. sorry about the weird numbers, it's scaled from a 3 gallon recipe. also note that the eff. is 85%. if you'd like to stick to your recipe i'd ditch the chocolate wheat. good luck.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Fat Tire v1 (BYO)
Brewer: Andrew
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.46 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG