Chili: Discuss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chili: Beans or No Beans

• Beans

• No Beans

• What?

Results are only viewable after voting.
b42a07e499bb475e_mr_bean_1.jpg

enhanced-11513-1397501313-32.jpg

Making chili and cornbread. Have the chili simmerin' away and then prepped the batch of cornbread and threw it in the oven. Cleaning up the kitchen and discovered my two eggs still sittin' there on the counter.

Making chili and cornbricks.

Anyone ever use some coffee in their chili? I have a bud that swears by it to get a little more earthiness. Might try it tonight. I love making chili and feeling like a mad scientist adding ten spices to it while half drunk.

I pulled off four liters of an IPA I made a few months ago and aged it for another couple days with some lightly crushed coffee beans - it was supposed to be one day but bottling got put off a day. The beer came out poorly for a few reasons, one of which was a way-overstated coffee presence. I held my nose and drank a bottle or two that way, which made it a little better, but I've found it makes a killer chili. I'd been told by a friend that coffee was a good addition to chili, and beer's always a good decision, so it's a good way to kill two birds with one stone.

Once that stuff's gone, I'll probably take the spent grounds from an Aeropress shot and toss those directly in the pot. No reason to toss a perfectly good cup of coffee in the pot when the grounds from said coffee will do the job just as well or better. A coffee shop I used to go to in college made a milkshake like that - vanilla ice cream blended with a dash of milk and the spent grounds from a shot of espresso. It was awesome.

Why never mix peppers?

LOL!

In a typical batch of chili, I will put in 6 dry red rawits (thai) that I crumble up with my fingers before I go to leave a piss, an entire can of whole chipotles that I scissor up after I toss them in, half a bottle of chipotle sauce, a few good shakes of habanero sauce and then eat it with thinly sliced fresh green chiles on top.

I know it's good if SWMBO starts sweating bullets halfway through her bowl. She barely knew what a chili was before she hooked up with me nearly 5 years ago and now we eat raw chiles as snacks while driving home from the supermarket.

Ive always just gotten a smodgepodge of various peppers and then adjust the smoked paprika and cumin up or down depending on the profile. I've never heard a thought against mixing peppers, don't understand why or believe it but am curious.

Corn"bread" still came out delicious. Dry and crumbly, but with some chili on top that's the least of your worries.

If you still have leftover chili you can turn it into empanada filling. There's a recipe out there for a pastry like crust made with half flour and half corn meal. delish!

Or a couple taco pies. I use two cornbread pans filled maybe 1/3 to 1/2 the way with chili. Then divide a batch of cornbread batter on top of both. Bake till golden brown, cut each in quarters & serve With spanish rice & maybe an IPA.

So what is it with the Brits and chili? I never had Mexican food that was worth a damn compared to Texas anywhere in England in my years there, but any decent freehouse in any part of the country has awesome chili!!

Brits are pretty familiar with spices. Curries etc are more British than they are Indian. Curry and chili share most of the same spices, really.

Brits are pretty familiar with spices. Curries etc are more British than they are Indian. Curry and chili share most of the same spices, really.

Actually had some dang spicy curries in the UK. I do like a good curry, but after trying several versions of it, I find the Filipino version of curry that is heavy on the coconut milk and spicy chilis is my favorite. Though the japanese have perfected curry rice eaten with pickled diakon, yummm. Gonna need a curry thread now.

Never tried filipino curry. How does it compare to Thai red curries that are heavy coconut? Thems my favorite.

I think that they are very similar. The red thai curry paste seems similar in taste, but the green curry is too sweet. but I'm eclectic when it comes to curry. I like the Japanese curry blocks then I add coconut milk. Kind of a japanese thai curry blend.

I think that they are very similar. The red thai curry paste seems similar in taste, but the green curry is too sweet. but I'm eclectic when it comes to curry. I like the Japanese curry blocks then I add coconut milk. Kind of a japanese thai curry blend.

Biggest issue with the Japanese curry is the huge sodium load. In Japan, the curry houses are great - order rice by the gram, order the curry by the spice content and grams, and add things like pork cutlets, eggs or even squid steaks.

Biggest issue with the Japanese curry is the huge sodium load. In Japan, the curry houses are great - order rice by the gram, order the curry by the spice content and grams, and add things like pork cutlets, eggs or even squid steaks.

I do like the Japanese breaded pork cutlets they serve with that sweet and spicy Tonkatsu barbeque sauce. Its a favorite street dish of mine when in Nippon.

Man, now I want to make a thick red curry and spoon it over some breaded meats. Goddamn that sounds great. I normally just do pretty typical red curry paste with coconut milk and lots of fried eggplant etc. Mmm

Back