What beer kicked your a$$ lately?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last one that had me just about "fall down" drunk was a 4 pack of Sierra Nevada Hoptimum. It doesn't have the ABV anywhere on the packaging. Found out the next day it's 10%. After 4 on an empty stomach, on a hot summer day, I was stumbling and I couldn't figure out why.:cross:

My own 90min clone...underestimated my efficiency and came out with a 10.5% killer. It hurts.

Commercially, probably Lagunitas Lucky 13...it's soooo good, but it'll put a dent in your head if you approach it without caution. Speaking of which, I gotta make a hoppy imperial red...

It's not recent and it did not give me a crazy hangover, but I was humbled by Odin's Tipple. Never before have I put a beer back to finish the next day but I can honestly say it was too much for me. Like molasses syrup it was so thick. Mind you it was a tasty beer... But I knew finishing it in one sitting would have finished me for the night.

I am 165lbs and generally stick to beers under 6%. Big beers like that usually get me pretty tipsy which is about as drunk as I ever want to be.

^This.

I laughed when I opened this thread because I though of Golden Monkey just reading the title! That stuff is so light and dry. Goes down so easily that you are compelled to have another. 4 in about 2 hours did me in.:cross:

Yeah, the monkey- that stuff is just dangerous.

Also those smutty nose big beers tend to do me in- big beers in big bottles, what a concept.

My wife ran into trouble with Weyerbacher Merry Monk at a beer Fest this last weekend. The slight banana up front and dry finish made it super quaffable for her, but the 8+% kicked back hard. Mind you, she usually drinks I/IPAs but knows to limit herself to two or at most three bottles (she's only 120#) over a couple hours...but the tasting glasses add up below the radar!

I have a tendency to lose control when the Moon goes into water signs, (Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces) so I keep myself mindful of where the Moon is during the month so I can purposely temper myself and avoid problems. When I KNOW our Moon is in a water sign, I have no problem having a beer or two and then stopping. The last time I stopped paying attention, I "accidentally" drank a 12-pack of SN Torpedoes :eek:

I learned my lesson...it was the first time I have been "sloppy drunk" in a good long while and didn't enjoy the after effects at all.

Last weekend I got slapped around by Saranac IIPA. Popped it open after having a few session beers but didn't slow down the pace and finished two before I realized what was happening.

While on my honeymoon in New York this past summer Delirium Tremens got me. Had a couple glasses of wine with dinner then went to a bar. Had a couple local brews that were average abv then saw that they had DT on tap. I had heard about how good it was so I decided to try it. Absolutely fantastic, so when the guy next to us at the bar offered to buy SWMBO and I another round, I had another DT. I know the abv isn't crazy high, but it was what put me over the edge. I didn't remember much of the walk back to the hotel, but apparently I was acting perfectly normal and carrying on a conversation until getting in the door of our room. Then I spent a couple hours praying to the porcelain god. SWMBO was less than pleased.

Speaking of DT, I need to find me some. :drunk:

After bottling my Imperial Red a couple days ago, I did what I usually do, and drank the last partial bottle I couldn't fill all the way. The beer started big, but attenuated further than I thought, leaving me with an 11.3% monster. Didn't taste boozy to my surprise, but it hit a lot harder than I thought it would (especially cause I'd already had a few).

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale put a whoopin on me bout 2 weeks ago. I would say drinkin it as a chaser for moonshine didn't make things any better.

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid...such a nasty lackluster beer...So bad I dumped it.

Dirty Bastard does it to me every time. 2 hearted as well. I just can't stop at 1....or 2.....maybe it's 3. Ah hell, who's counting?

Speakeasy Big Daddy IPA kicked my ASS last night. Went a bar for a Halloween party...those open bar specials are dangerous.

Recently had three big stouts in a row at a place called taco Mac in Atlanta. I'm in their beer club and was three beers away from getting my Masters in their Brewniversity. So I did it with a Clown Shoes Vampire Slayer, New Holland Dragon's Milk, and appropriately finished it off with a Souther Tier Creme Brûlée (what a memorable beer). They were all great and unique in their own way, have to say the vampire slayer is the one I'd have again. Also love Clown Shoes Hoppy Feet, their black IPA.

ThatGeekGuy said:
DFH120 on draft at the Flying Saucer Beerfeast yesterday, a fine finish to a day of drinking rare craft beers:ban:

What state? Love the Flying Saucer but there's not on in GA yet and you can't get 120 in GA.

Hardywood Brewery just celebrated its first anniversary. Had a HUGE party yesterday, featuring reserved, barrel aged stocks of previously sold out beers, special small batch stuff brewed just for the occasion, a special anniversary beer blend, a pin cask blend, and all their old favorites including the randall du jour.

I should not have tried them all.

First time I had Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout I didn't bother reading the label on the bottle until I finished the six pack (before they started selling it in 4 packs).....in one sitting....by myself. :drunk:

Not one beer, but I went to an event at the local taphouse with (18oz) Oakshire pints for $3. Had an IPA, Imperial Porter, Ill Tempered Gnome, and then a fresh hop from Elysian. This was in the span of a couple hours and I felt fine until I got home to eat dinner. It was early to bed for me.

At least I was alright the next day.

Bell's "This One Goes to 11" has done a fair job of kicking me in the arse on two separate occasions now. So smooth and refreshing for an 11+% brew. Love this beer!

I went to a Halloween party on Saturday...There was a keg of Bud Light and beer pong :)

and just to redeem myself, we had a sixer of homebrewed pumpkin ale and the host of the party broke out a bomber of Delirium! yum

He'Brew's Sweet 16 - very good! All over the net you see where its listed at 16% ABV and to go with the theme of 16, 16 malts, 16 hops, etc.

Ohio law dictates no beer over 12% can be distributed in the State. So, I was surprised to look at the label... 11.8%. What did I care? For $9.99 a bomber I said sure!

Well... I'm no stranger to high ABV beers. I can also say for damn sure... this is not 11.8%, no way in hell!! I had one Deviant Dale's over the course of an hour and 15 minutes before opening this beast... aaaaaand I don't fully recall finishing the bottle. 16%? I'll toast to that... :drunk:

Cigar City Seabass. Tastes like malty candy, but is technically a farmhouse ale at a tad over 7%.

Widmer Bros. Embalmer Ale (Barleywine) was another one that was malty goodness with almost no alcohol that you can detect that weighs in at 11.2%.

I had both in rapid order on Saturday afternoon along with 750 ml of Rodenbach Grand Cru. That's about $30 of beersnobbery straight to the brain! :drunk:

BrewDog Tactical Nuclear Penguin. 42% ABV. Drinking a glass of Jager is easier.

I had a bottle of Sam Adams Utopia back in 1999 that took me about a month to drink! Definitely tasted like Jager mixed with Soy Sauce!

Latest posts

Back