Vanilla Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giono2

Reaction score
How much vanilla extract should I add to this malt bill to get a nice vanilla flavor?

6.00 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 75.0 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 18.8 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3.1 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3.1 %
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 27.6 IBU
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) Yeast-Ale

Thanks for any help.

Personally I would use real vanilla beans instead of extract. But that is from my experience.

I did a Vanilla Bourbon Porter last fall. I used three whole madagascar vanuilla beans split down the middle with the insides scraped and dumped into the beer. I added them when I racked to the secondary and let them sit for about three or four weeks. Great vanilla aroma and flavor.

-Todd

giono2 said:
How much vanilla extract should I add to this malt bill to get a nice vanilla flavor?

6.00 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 75.0 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 18.8 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3.1 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3.1 %
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 27.6 IBU
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) Yeast-Ale

Thanks for any help.
I'm still kind of a newbie when it comes to AG brewing but I don't think this recipe is going to work. You don't have any base malts to convert to fermentable sugars. Caravienne is a crystal malt similar to crystal 20l. Using this recipe as is will result in a beer that is a sugary mess.
I think you can substitute Vienna or some other brewers malt for the caravienne to get a beer. That may require some more roasted malts to keep your color the same.

I'll let other more experienced brewers comment on vanilla as I have not used it yet.

Craig

CBBaron said:
I'm still kind of a newbie when it comes to AG brewing but I don't think this recipe is going to work. You don't have any base malts to convert to fermentable sugars. Caravienne is a crystal malt similar to crystal 20l. Using this recipe as is will result in a beer that is a sugary mess.
I think you can substitute Vienna or some other brewers malt for the caravienne to get a beer. That may require some more roasted malts to keep your color the same.

I'll let other more experienced brewers comment on vanilla as I have not used it yet.

Craig

What he said... Plus, I think this is a stout, not a porter, since you are using roasted barley... I could be wrong about that though.

I used vanilla extract on my caramel cream ale... 4 ounces at 10 mins left in the boil, then another 4 ounces at bottling time. Had a very nice vanilla flavor and aroma.

Yeah, Caravienne has no enzymes. I've never used it, but it's not going to convert by itself. Can't use it as a base malt.

Have you run this recipe through any software? Even subbing in some base grain, or some Vienna malt (which can be used as a base malt in some styles), it doesn't seem like it's going to produce a beer much above 1.030. You've only got eight pounds of grain, total, I'm usually using eleven or twelve pounds.

That's a lot of crystal 60L, too; again maing the assumption that you're swapping out the caravienna, this is going to be a very sweet porter, I would be worried it'll be too sweet. You're light on the dark malts, too.

Take a look at my Dope-Slap Brown for some ideas. That beer came out more like a porter than a brown ale (it's one of my favorites). I used Victory and some home-toasted malt, so ignore those (I don't think you want a toasted vanilla stout). I'd recommend starting with a nice base malt, maybe a British pale malt, a couple pounds of Munich would be nice, a little crystal but not too much, and some chocolate malt. Roasted barley's a little harsher, I don't think it'll go as well with vanilla. Maybe 3/4# chocolate malt.

Im doing this one in a few weeks. It may be more of what you're looking for

Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 17.00
Anticipated OG: 1.078 Plato: 18.88
Anticipated SRM: 33.3
Anticipated IBU: 31.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
64.7 11.00 lbs. Crisp Maris Otter Britain 1.036 4
14.7 2.50 lbs. Munich Malt(2-row) America 1.035 6
8.8 1.50 lbs. Crisp Brown Malt America 1.032 70
5.9 1.00 lbs. Crystal 150L Great Britain 1.033 150
2.9 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
2.9 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.60 oz. Magnum Whole 14.00 30.0 60 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 1.7 10 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

After primary, slit open 2 vanilla beans. Scrape the insides, chop the pods
into quarters, add to secondary fermenter, rack beer onto vanilla. Taste
pperiodically for the correct balance. I left the beer in secondary for 11 da
ys. Rack to bottling bucket and add 10 ml. per pint of Jim Beam Black Bourbon
(or to your taste). Bottle, enjoy!

Back