You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was enjoying this thread, thinking, "I'm not like that." Then, I remembered this one time, I stood next to the bottle return at my local supermarket. Some guy came up with a cart full of empties. I bought them from him (5-cents each) so I would have more bottles to fill.

So, never mind. I guess I am.

This one made me laugh....out loud!

Lose your part time job at the liqour store because of an agrument with the liqour store manager about the beer prices. The final straw was when he has you on camera showing pcustomers they can make the same stuff for half the cost. Mean while the hombrew club has doubled in size.

mh-brews said:
Lose your part time job at the liqour store because of an agrument with the liqour store manager about the beer prices. The final straw was when he has you on camera showing pcustomers they can make the same stuff for half the cost. Mean while the hombrew club has doubled in size.

That's awesome!

When your at SWIMBOS parent's house on Thanksgiving and her mom is watching the dog show, you're on hbt on your smartphone and hear them talking about "best in show" and "Westy" and have to agree even though your not watching.

Crossingnierika said:
When your at SWIMBOS parent's house on Thanksgiving and her mom is watching the dog show, you're on hbt on your smartphone and hear them talking about "best in show" and "Westy" and have to agree even though your not watching.

Doing the same thing!!

...When you have 3 stir plates and they always have starters going on them.
...When you have a small freezer dedicated to yeast tubes.
...When "home brewing" books no longer cut it and you start getting professional brewing textbooks.
...When you have a 23 cubic foot freezer with temp control AND have a 6 keg kegarator fridge AND have a mini fridge all dedicated to just brewing stuff.
...You buy a pressure canner just so you can always have sterile wort for starters and can autoclave your yeast tubing equipment.
...You have more plastic buckets then dinner plates and bowls put together.
...You have custom excel sheets for tracking your current batches, what's in each fermentor, what's in each keg, what's on each tap, what's carbonating, what yeast you have in test tubes sorted by custom serial number, and a custom sheet with all of the different yeast strains with optimal temp ranges, attuenation, and alcohol tolerance.
...When you've gotten yourself a caliper to make sure the gap on your grain mill is "just right".
...When you've converted your basement shower into a custom "brew stuff washing station."
...You're mother is happy to let you randomly use her kitchen "to just make a few liters of starter" because you always end up doing the dishes and sanitizing the counter just have a clean sink and work space.
...When you notice the police sure do roll by your residence a lot.
...When you have at least three full propane tanks and still worry you might run out of fuel.
...When your car says in the drive way just so your brew equipment can be fully setup and at the ready for your next batch.
...You own more then five iPhone brewing apps and Beer Smith and Beer Tools and Beer Alchemy and still have your own spread sheet with custom formulas.
...You call in sick to work just so you can clean brewing stuff, prepare for the next batch, and bottle/keg a batch, and knock out a quick batch.
...You always volunteer to collect returnables for charity just so you get more bottles and contribute .20 a bottle to the local animal shelter.
...If you think the guy who invented StarStan deserves a Nobel prize.
...When you know who TakeSomeAdvice is and can't stop watching his train wreak videos because they're just too funny.
...When you start buying 50 lb bags of grain...just for your own brewing.
...When you never more relaxed then when you're stirring a boiling pot of wort and smelling the heavenly aromas and just grooving to the sound of the boil.

That's all I can think of at the moment from my personal brewing experiences. Looking at that list I don't know if I should be ashamed or proud.

You know you need help..

mcginnis842 said:
...When "home brewing" books no longer cut it and you start getting professional brewing textbooks.
...When you have a 23 cubic foot freezer with temp control AND have a 6 keg kegarator fridge AND have a mini fridge all dedicated to just brewing stuff.
...You buy a pressure canner just so you can always have sterile wort for starters and can autoclave your yeast tubing equipment.
...You have custom excel sheets for tracking your current batches, what's in each fermentor, what's in each keg, what's on each tap, what's carbonating, what yeast you have in test tubes sorted by custom serial number, and a custom sheet with all of the different yeast strains with optimal temp ranges, attuenation, and alcohol tolerance.
...When you've gotten yourself a caliper to make sure the gap on your grain mill is "just right".
...When you've converted your basement shower into a custom "brew stuff washing station."
...You're mother is happy to let you randomly use her kitchen "to just make a few liters of starter" because you always end up doing the dishes and sanitizing the counter just have a clean sink and work space.
...When you have at least three full propane tanks and still worry you might run out of fuel.
...When your car says in the drive way just so your brew equipment can be fully setup and at the ready for your next batch.
...You own more then five iPhone brewing apps and Beer Smith and Beer Tools and Beer Alchemy and still have your own spread sheet with custom formulas.
...You call in sick to work just so you can clean brewing stuff, prepare for the next batch, and bottle/keg a batch, and knock out a quick batch.
...You always volunteer to collect returnables for charity just so you get more bottles and contribute .20 a bottle to the local animal shelter.
...When you know who TakeSomeAdvice is and can't stop watching his train wreak videos because they're just too funny.
...When you never more relaxed then when you're stirring a boiling pot of wort and smelling the heavenly aromas and just grooving to the sound of the boil.

That's all I can think of at the moment from my personal brewing experiences. Looking at that list I don't know if I should be ashamed or proud.

I agree to all of the above except this one.

When you buy an extract kit so you can brew a beer while you are mashing another.

You need some serious 12 step program dude.I mean brew on dude!:mug:You may want to venture into the " You know your addicted to hombrewing when" post.

You go to a beer import store and determine which beer you are going to buy by the amount of yeast at the bottom of the bottle that you can harvest.

You travel for work and you keep a 50mL flask, some DME, and an airlock with you in your bag just in case you find a rare bottle with yeast in the bottom.

You know you are a home brewer when you go to the liquor only for the sake of bottles because the LHBS is closed......

When I needed bottles for bottling I ran to the LHBS to try and beat closing time. I get there only to realize I missed closing time by two hours...so instead I run to the liquor store buy 3 cases of summit, call a few friends, drink the beer, clean the bottles, then bottle my beer. Only to realize while under the influence I forgot the priming sugar.....gah!

When you go through brewing withdrawls, Currently depressed due to moving in January I sadly cannot brew until then.

You know you are a home brewer when you go to the liquor only for the sake of bottles because the LHBS is closed......

When I needed bottles for bottling I ran to the LHBS to try and beat closing time. I get there only to realize I missed closing time by two hours...so instead I run to the liquor store buy 3 cases of summit, call a few friends, drink the beer, clean the bottles, then bottle my beer. Only to realize while under the influence I forgot the priming sugar.....gah!

ouch! least ya got to drink some good beer.

when you read this ENTIRE thread and relate to pretty much everything people said.

When your working in a foreign country for a year that outlaws alcohol, yet you still spend all your free time on brewing sites, and designing beer recipes that your going to try when your year is up and your back home.

this for darn sure, did that for 15 months in Iraq

Let's examine that for a moment. Those countries outlaw alcohol,Then stand there wondering why they have a bunch of half crazed terrorists running around? Make them legalize weed & alcohol,then tell them it's bad juju not to...:D:drunk:

When you activitly see someone dumping out homebrew. You turn to look away while throwing up just a little in your mouth. You head home pop open a brew to reflect on what you had just witnessed.

Back