Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Recipe with Belgian Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneHotKarl

Reaction score
I've got an idea for you experts out there. I was thinking of brewing 10 gallons of a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone and then splitting into 5 gallons into two fermenters with:
1. standard Cali Ale yeast
2. Belgian T58 ale yeast (same as WLP500/Wyeast 1214)

Any idea how the "belgian pale ale" would turn out? Of course it wouldn't be to style with the domestic 2-row and cascade hops...but would it be any good? I have yeast cakes of each that I could ferment this wort on so it would be a convenient experiment.

You'll be making what is essentially a Belgian pale ale. I'm sure it will turn out great. However, I'm very curious as to how the "funky" nature of Belgian yeast will blend with the American hops. Let us know how it turns out.

:)

Normally, Belgian beers are fermented warmer with typical temperatures somewhere in the mid 70s. For this beer, I'd go cooler, maybe high 60s. A Belgian pale ale is a more delicate beer than the traditional trappist ale. You'll probably want some of that "funkyness" (after all, you want to brew a beer that will distinguish itself from the regular snpa) but you don't want to over do it. A simple accent will be delicious.

Normally, Belgian beers are fermented warmer with typical temperatures somewhere in the mid 70s. For this beer, I'd go cooler, maybe high 60s. A Belgian pale ale is a more delicate beer than the traditional trappist ale. You'll probably want some of that "funkyness" (after all, you want to brew a beer that will distinguish itself from the regular snpa) but you don't want to over do it. A simple accent will be delicious.

It's not as simple as that. A widespread practice for Belgian brewers is to pitch much cooler, say 60-68, then let the temp rise on its own over 5 days or so into the mid 70s and even into the low 80s. BUT, that crucial early stage is when most of the esters and fusels are formed. Pitching cooler as they do helps avoid excessive amounts of these fermentation byproducts.

From Brew Like a Monk:

Chimay is pitched at 68, then rises to 81-82 over 4 days.
Duvel is pitched at 61-64, then rises to 79-84 over 120 hours.
Orval is pitched at 57, may rise to 72, 4 days.
Rochefort is pitched at 68, rises to 73, 7 days.
Westmalle is pitched at 64, rises to 68, 5 to 6 days.
Westvleteren is pitched at 68, rises to 82 to 84, 4 to 6 days.

I tried this sort of technique on a beer around Christmas and came out fantastic. Using Wyeast 1388 (Duvel strain), I pitched at 65, then raised the temp 2 degrees F every 12 hours until I got to 77, then left it at 77 until I hit the 2 week mark. The beer was 7.5% abv, but the alcohol was so soft it seemed like less. It still had alcohol flavor but it just wasn't hot at all. Hard to tell on the esters as this one was packed with Ginger and Grapefruit zest.

I know this is an old thread but I'll be doing the following beginning tomorrow:

10 gallon batch of my pale ale recipe split into:
5 gallons with WLP001
5 gallons with WLP500

Then, in a couple weeks, I'm going to do a 10 gallon batch of my IIPA recipe split into 5 gallons on each of those yeast cakes.

Will be an interesting experiment!!!

Btw, have any of you tried Green Flash La Freak? Belgian IIPA...west coast crazy hopped style. Amazing!

I make a Belgin using American NW hops. I use a Belgian yeast, is kind of a dark Amber and finishes with Summitt hops. It is one of my favorites and a big hit with family and friends. I ferment at pretty low temps 65 max and condition for 90 days.

Back