Inline Oxygenation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefromcu

Reaction score
Where's the DIY for building out one of these? I've seen several nice and many awesome looking setups, but no parts/instructions. I'm building out a large system and want to incorporate with tri-clover fittings, etc. Can someone point me to a thread, or help out? I also want to have an integrated thermometer...

Cheers.

The DIY section has a stickies thread for project locators - you will find what you seek in that!

I would love to find one of the aeration stones with a NPT fitting. I was thinking of making something like the Sabco Chill Wizard as a winter project.

Yea, I looked in the DIY area and found one for a basic setup. I was hoping someone who has a more advanced (looking anyway) setup might have something out there.

Thanks!

$50 is a bit steep. What's the benefit over using a compression fitting for tubing that costs $5?

I am building one myself with the help of brewershardware.

Bought an instrument tee from St Pats and am having Derrin weld a stone to a cap on the inside, and a corny post fitting on the outside. With a ball lock on it, I can use it as an in line carbonator if I want.

I was going to do that stone from Morebeer, but totally threadless won out thanks to Derrin. He's making it as we speak, actually.

InstrumentTee.jpg

A check valve was recommended to me and I've now installed one. A gate valve would also work, but if you run out of O2 wort will go right into your regulator and could ruin it. I really like having one and they're easy to add. I'll post a pic later. Gotta brew!

Sweet. My instrument tee comes right off the boil kettle output. The 'low profile' version. It gets sanitized with along with the pump with a boiling whirlpool before chilling.

EDIT: Is that a Derrin job or is that the fitting that Morebeer sells. They sell one just like what you have but it was too long for me and also didn't have a corny post which I wanted so I could change the gas source..

Sweet. My instrument tee comes right off the boil kettle output. The 'low profile' version. It gets sanitized with along with the pump with a boiling whirlpool before chilling.
Post pics when done please.

Is that a Derrin job or is that the fitting that Morebeer sells.
The great guys at work made it for me.;)

They sell one just like what you have but it was too long for me
Mine was made to reach into the center of the T.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I just used my oxygen injection system for the first time. It's impressive. I could see bubbles, foam and wort moving happily into the fermenter. I could almost here the yeast applauding.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16618//1_2"_MPT_Oxygen_Stone_-_2_Micron

For $45.95 that 2 micron stone is overpriced vs their .5 micron stone with a 1/4" flare tube end on sale at $13.95 like a couple weeks ago. For $32 less plus .5 vs 2 micron the KEG591 a finer O2 particle stone plus a simple flare fitting for taking apart and building your DIY project.

Yes this is why I went with that one instead. I wanted .5 micron. I was in the process of asking for a custom weld for them (not super custom $$, just the same thing they make but with a .5 micron) but the price tag was more like around $50.

I decided to get the one you mentioned for Derrin to weld for around the same money and then it's threadless and fits with my tri-clamp gear.

What exactly are the benefits of inline oxygenation compared with injecting oxygen into the full volume of wort in the fermentor?

I understand that the turbulence of the flowing wort would ensure thorough mixing of the injected oxygen, but wouldn't the turbulence of the wort entering the fermentor also drive some of the gas out.

Also it seems commercial brewers use venturi systems and longer lengths of piping to ensure thorough mixing of the oxygen as well. For those that do inline oxygenation, can you make any recommendations in this regard?

Back