In the bottle for one week.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure, if you want to.

If you primed with corn sugar, there's a good chance it'll be mostly or even fully carbed.

How many days old was it when you bottled? What kind of beer is it?

Yes, you should. If you're super curious and looking for help rationalizing it, let me give you a hand. You should try one this weekend because:

a. the 50 more bottles
b. the suspense is killing you
c. you put in a lot of effort
d. (best reason) the beer will be kinda green tasting, and you, as a brewer, need to know what that tastes like. You should be taste-testing a little bit throughout the process, in order to know your ale better.

Let us know how it tastes. :)

monk

cweston said:
Sure, if you want to.

If you primed with corn sugar, there's a good chance it'll be mostly or even fully carbed.

How many days old was it when you bottled? What kind of beer is it?

It was 3 weeks old, I used "priming sugar" which I think is corn sugar. It is a strong stotch ale.

I've tasted every stage along the way. If it should be someone carbed I'll try one. I only got about 42 bottles, I think my batch was a bit under 5G and I lost a few cups while trying to bottle. Opps.

Monk I agree, I just hate to waste one only to find out it was the same as bottling day.

Todd said:
It was 3 weeks old, I used "priming sugar" which I think is corn sugar. It is a strong stotch ale.

I've tasted every stage along the way. If it should be someone carbed I'll try one. I only got about 42 bottles, I think my batch was a bit under 5G and I lost a few cups while trying to bottle. Opps.

Monk I agree, I just hate to waste one only to find out it was the same as bottling day.

Nope: carbonated beer, even if it's green, tastes a lot different than uncarbed. Go for it--it's only one bottle.

If you can, wait until 3 weeks in the bottle (or more) to start seriously depleting your supply. But RDWHAHB. And, most importantly, get going on that next batch.

cweston said:
Nope: carbonated beer, even if it's green, tastes a lot different than uncarbed. Go for it--it's only one bottle.

If you can, wait until 3 weeks in the bottle (or more) to start seriously depleting your supply. But RDWHAHB. And, most importantly, get going on that next batch.

Ok what is RDWHAHB?

I have a strawberry beer fermenting now.

Relax, Don't Worry, Have A HomeBrew.

I just cracked a bottle of my Winter Ale last night. Been in the bottle 1wk. The ABV is a little high and I suspect the yeast are taking longer to eat the priming sugar and crap CO2.

I'll crack another in a month since this beer is going to take a while to age.

Yeah, go ahead and drink one and report out on how it tastes compared to the last time. I'm bottling tomorrow and I'm so excited to crack open my first one the following weekend. For now, I'll have to live vicariously through you!

Sure, it will give you a good idea of what under-conditioned beer tastes like. I'm a firm believer in Quality (and Quantity) Assurance. In the furture, if you sample a brew at three weeks & it's still tastes green, you'll know it isn't ruined, just needs more time.

On my first batch I drank one at 7 days and it sucked. It had no head at all either. At 10 days the head almost overflowed out of the glass and it tasted good. At two weeks it was even better. After three weeks it's a completely different beer!

My second batch has been in the bottles for 9 days and I'm leaving it for 3 weeks. I'm already itching to try one but I'll probably wait until at least 2 weeks before sneaking a pre taste.

Tommy

Brewno said:
On my first batch I drank one at 7 days and it sucked. It had no head at all either. At 10 days the head almost overflowed out of the glass and it tasted good. At two weeks it was even better. After three weeks it's a completely different beer!

My second batch has been in the bottles for 9 days and I'm leaving it for 3 weeks. I'm already itching to try one but I'll probably wait until at least 2 weeks before sneaking a pre taste.

Tommy

I think I'll have to crack one open this weekend. I'm sure it will suck but I just have to do it.

here's my John Bull American Beer after 1 week in the bottle....

dcam1720ta9.jpg

that was last weekend... i'll be trying another one this weekend... :mug:

I just cracked open my first bottle last wednesday which was 10 days from when i bottled it and it tasted fine, a lil less carbonated then what i was use to but was very smooth and drinkable... and let me tell you it didn't take long for me to deplete most of my supply, a little help from some friends but i have been able to save 10 bottles to let it age more.

go ahead pop the top off one and enjoy your own brew!!

Ok I chilled one Saturday and had a sample. Initially it had a decent head and the carbination seemed good. The head didn't stick around long though.

Now for the taste, I can't say it was great. First taste was ok but I ended up not even finishing the whole thing. It really had an unfinished extract taste to it. Should this go away with age?

Try one at room temp next time, and compare that to chilling it. I'm no expert, but I think that is alright for a Scottish Ale. Personally, I think beer (esp. homebrew) is better at room temperature.

Back