Dry hopping with pellet hops???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarrsipius

Reaction score
I brewed my second batch yesterday and all is well. One question though. I bought a ingredients kit assembled by my LHBS and the recipe calls for dry hopping. The hops provided for this are in pellet form but most of them have been crushed and are now in powder form. They also provided a grain bag for the dry hops.

Is it ok to dry hop with crushed hop pellets (they won't stay in the bag, I'm sure)? I'm guessing it will be ok because most of it will settle out to the bottom of the fermentor.

thanks for any advice.

yup, no problems.

when you transfer to keg/bottling bucket all the hops will settle to the bottom with the yeast. i would still use the bag though to keep large pieces easier to manage

It might also settle along the top. I had a batch of IPA that did that to me, just green gunk all over the shoulder and in the neck of the carboy. Either way, it will settle out somewhere.

Related newb dry hopping question while we're on the topic... can dry hopping be done in the primary, or must it be done in the secondary?

...They also provided a grain bag for the dry hops.

Is it ok to dry hop with crushed hop pellets (they won't stay in the bag, I'm sure)? I'm guessing it will be ok because most of it will settle out to the bottom of the fermentor.

I wouldn't use the bag: just dump 'em in. I try to dry hop for 10-ish days, and I've never had any issues with siphoning hops after that.

Just pay a reasonable amount of attention when you're racking and you don't need the bag, IMO.

J.

Back