help! stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toularat

Reaction score
I hope someone can give me some advice.

Sat. I started a hard lemonade with malt extract. Recipe from this forum. I made a 1 gallon batch, using 1/2 tsp. champagne yeast. I rehydrated the yeast, but admit I didn't have alot of patience and added it to the must after 1/2 hour. I have used this amount and type of yeast previously with no problems.

It had thick foam on the top, so I stirred it a couple of times that day. Probably 2 inches of foam in the neck of the bottle. I shook it, and it still didn't seem to do anything so I removed some into a container, added some sugar to it and some warm water and another 1/2 tsp yeast (this time, unfortunately, I had to use cote de blanc.)
still nothing on Monday morning, but tiny bit of foam. Added 1 tsp yeast nutrient and just some foam, but no bubbles rising. This is still all what I removed on Sunday, in a small container. Do you think it is working, or is lemon really hard on yeast? Room temp about 70. I have never used malt extract before, so don't know if foam is from that or what.

I also started an apple cider the same day, same recipe without malt, using the same yeast and that is bubbling away. Starting sg. for lemonade was 1.070.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Lemonade is the toughest ferment I've ever had- it's extremely acidic. I suggest a new package of yeast, and dissolve that in a little warm water with a pinch of sugar. When that is foamy, add some of your must to it, diluted in some water. Mostly water, with a little must. Then, keep doing that slowly over the next two days, adding more lemonade must and less water each time until you are adding mostly must. When this is still foamy and going well, pitch it into the fermenter. Cover the must with a towel, to keep out fruitflies and stuff, but no airlock until it's going well. Stir frequently during the first few days of active ferment.

Also, double check the ingredients and make sure there is no sorbate in the lemonade.

Edit- I just noticed you used 1/2 tsp of yeast? You should use the whole package! One package of yeast works for up to 5 gallons of wine. You didn't put enough yeast in to begin with, especially for an og of 1.070.

Aaahh! So Lemon needs a whole package of yeast?? Cuz 1/2 tsp was more than enough for my other ciders.

Okay.

Will I see active bubbling, or is just foam an active must?

Aaahh! So Lemon needs a whole package of yeast?? Cuz 1/2 tsp was more than enough for my other ciders.

Okay.

Will I see active bubbling, or is just foam an active must?

Generally not too active looking, a few bubbles rising to the surface, and maybe a foam.

Generally, you need a whole package for most wines/meads/ciders. It will work with less, but then the yeast are stressed trying to reproduce before fermentation can begin. For anything one gallon and over, you should use an entire package. They are only $.79 cents anyway. Also, once you open a package, you must use the whole thing. Dry yeast last a long, long time unopened, but once you open a package, it starts to be much less viable. When I make rootbeer with only 1/4 package, I usually end up throwing the rest away after about a week. So, go ahead and use the whole package whether it seems like it "needs" it or not. The cider will taste better.

Wine yeasts tend to have pretty mild visual fermentations, too, I think. Foam more than krausen. I know my mead did (only time I've used wine yeast).

I don't think wine yeast is the culprit- it's the ingredients in the recipe. If you used wine yeast with an ale, you'd get plenty of krausen. It has to do with protein, not the kind of yeast used, although there are some wine yeasts specifically designed to be "low foaming".

I don't think wine yeast is the culprit- it's the ingredients in the recipe. If you used wine yeast with an ale, you'd get plenty of krausen. It has to do with protein, not the kind of yeast used, although there are some wine yeasts specifically designed to be "low foaming".
I haven't experimented with it, so I don't know for sure, but I read reports of people making apfelwein with beer yeasts and experiencing a lot more krausen than those using wine yeasts did. The makeup of the wort probably has a lot to do with it, too, though, yeah.

Yooper,

Since you've changed your avatar to a photo, WHY did you change out of the fishnet stockings and let go of the bullwhip?

Pogo

Back