CD Spindle Draft Tower Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfetty

Reaction score
Here's my idea and I'm currently building it. I'll show some pics when done

The Idea:

Build an efficient draft tower cooler using items from around the house for cheap or free.

The Parts:

• used CD spindle with lid
  • 80mm case fan from an old computer
  • old wall wort (12v DC 1a) had laying around to power the case fan

The Design

I will take the lid of the CD spindle, cut a hole in it for air flow for the case fan. I will attach the case fan to the inside of the spindle lid using pop rivets. The fan will be positioned to blow toward the inside of the spindle lid. The base of the spindle will have a small diameter (1") hole drilled in it on one of the edges inside the diameter of the lid.

The base will be attached to the under side of the keezer lid with the 1" drilled hole postiioned over the opening for the draft tower so that air will be blown up the draft tower. The lid will simply slide onto the base and turn to latch it in place.

I will post pics once I get the build done. My draft tower doesn't arrive until wednesday so I will probably post final pics then.

Let me know your thoughts.

DraftCoolerDesign.jpg

DraftCoolerDesign2.jpg

It's tough for me to visualize, even with your sketches. However, I'd be worried about the plastic CD case not being rigid enough to support the taps. That plastic flexes quite a bit, but also cracks easily. I'm very curious to hear how it turns out for you.

The cd spindle will not be supporting anything. I will simply velcro the light-weight cd spindle to the underside of the keezer lid.

Here's the finished product and it works great...

It's just velcro'd to the lid of the keezer so that the hole in the spindle base overlaps the hole for the draft tower.

towercooler.jpg

The cd spindle will not be supporting anything. I will simply velcro the light-weight cd spindle to the underside of the keezer lid.

I get it now that I see your photo. Somehow I got the idea in my head from the OP that you were trying to make the tower itself out of the CD case. What was I thinking? :drunk: I'm glad it worked out for you!

Back