Trubble with trub!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol' rummie

Reaction score
I've been having this problem for a while, when my boil is done, chilled, and whirlpooled, I start to siphon the wort into my fermenter, this time it was a lemongrass wheat beer, looked beautiful after whirlpooling, crystal clear the problem is when I get to the bottom of the kettle and have all the clear wort off that I can get, there is about a 1 1/4 gallon of trub left, leaving my finishing volume short. Can this problem be fixed?? ( other than dumping the trub into the fermenter )??

For now, add the trub into the fermenter as well, and you'll end up with more hop aroma in your beer in the end. In the future you can make yourself a hop bag out of a paint strainer and PVC pipe to keep the hops inside.

I whirlpool and rack whatever I can. The rest of the break settles out in the fermenter leaving clear beer. The cold break is hard to avoid and is harmless, the hot break is usually heavy and stays in the center of the pot for me.

Does hot break have any negative effect? I use a hop bag to keep hop solids out but I skip whirlpool and just run everything through the CFC, hot break and all. I figure this gives me a fast chill and I just wait till everything has settled very nicely, then rack over that. Minimal wasted wort.

Does hot break have any negative effect? I use a hop bag to keep hop solids out but I skip whirlpool and just run everything through the CFC, hot break and all. I figure this gives me a fast chill and I just wait till everything has settled very nicely, then rack over that. Minimal wasted wort.

+1 on that. I am just getting started with this, so any unnecessary steps I avoid. I always rack into the secondary and leave the trub in the primary.

Back