How much priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tandersen123

Reaction score
Going to bottle my beer today how mcuh priming sugar should I use? it's a cara cara hef. last time I bottled a blackberry ale the guy at the brew store told to to use 1 cup of corn sugar with 1 pint of water (i used blackberry extract at time of bottling) and the bottles seem to be a little over carbed

Tim

There are a number of priming sugar calculators available on line. They will base the amount of sugar on style, volume and fermentation temperature. They are also built into most home brew software packages. They will typically recommend an amount by weight, which is a better measure than volume - so it is helpful to have a small digital scale (which is also helpful for weighing hops and DME).

All that being said, if one cup seems like a little too much, you can just use a little less. It'll still be good beer.

Here is a good one to use.

Using some guesses at what you are doing (5 gallons, keeping to style, fermenting temp @ 68) I get 9oz corn sugar or 8.6oz table sugar. That puts you in middle range for a hef @ 4.2 volumes of CO2.

You'd have to weight that out and then see how that compares to the cup used in your last batch to see if that's more or less. I'm guessing it's less.

use the site Kealia suggested, it works great. The suggested volume range is listed next to the beer style in the Average CO2 volumes listed by BJCP style dropdown. which you can also adjust yourself depending on preference.

Back