thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixon

Reaction score
My extremely generous bro in law just gave me all his brewing equipment. I am now getting ready for my first batch. Amongst the equipment is a never opened Williams brewing American ipa kit. I am wondering if I can break this open and use it?

Thoughts??

Oh and this kit is prolly from 2005...

I would say throw it away and get a new kit (cost roughly $30). The hops, when stored in oxygen tight packs in the freezer will last a year and start to lose the acids and oils that you want after that.

There are tests you can do to see if the hop pellets have lost the acids but I don't think it is worth your time or money. I would rather spend the $30 to get a new ingredient kit.

Thanks for the input. I figured as much...I went ahead and opened the kit just to see what all was in there and found the liquid yeast packet looked like it was about to explode and hops are all dried out.

This kit kinda made me sad n that everything is labeled by kit ingredient number rather than actual name of the ingredient. This to me is no fun. I want to know what malt extract I am using and which hops are being used. Are all kits like this on I opened? If so I'm not sure I will ever buy a kit.

I would buy some new yeast and go for it for the first batch. First batch is a learning experience anyways. Might as well use free ingredients.

Gert the kinks out of the brew process and then spend money on your second batch and not worry about money down the drain. but that's my opinion.

I'd use it AND buy a new kit. What are you out for trying it, some water?? Though I'd buy a packet or two of new yeast, cause that stuff is probably dead...

Might not be the best beer you drink, but it's probably going to be "ok" and it's worth the experience and practice IMO.

This kit kinda made me sad n that everything is labeled by kit ingredient number rather than actual name of the ingredient. This to me is no fun. I want to know what malt extract I am using and which hops are being used. Are all kits like this on I opened? If so I'm not sure I will ever buy a kit.

Take a look at one of the recipe kits from Brewers Best Kits. In the recipe, it tells you what the ingredients are and the quantity of each except for the variety of the hops and type of yeast included. http://brewersbestkits.com/recipes.html

The kits from Midwest Supplies do too. http://www.midwestsupplies.com

Back