Pomegranate Orange pineapple mead! (also known as the oh, I might as well mead.)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkapottomous

Reaction score
yup. had to go to tto the grocery store to pick up some milk and grabbed some baker's yeast.

dug through the fridge and found about 3/4 a jug of pomegranate juice, grabbed an orange, then saw that I had some crushed pineapple in the pantry so I put it in a colander and strained all the juice out into the others.

brought to a boil, added honey, cooled and pitched yeast.

bubbling away happily one hour later. This yeast doesn't mess around.

any ideas how long I should let this sit? thinking about just letting it sit in the closet of the second room here until august or so and bottling it then. (I plan on carbonating it as well, so does the time frame make a difference for carbonation? would it be better to bottle after a few weeks and then age it, or should I let it ferment for a few months and then bottle? I've never made a mead before)

I have not been able to find any pomegranate juice that did not have preservatives in it (Even over priced organics), but this sounds tasty.
You may need to be ready to back sweeten with some artificial sweeteners.
In my limited experience pineapple and pomegranate can lead to some harsh acid taste once all the sugar is gone.
Otherwise, it sounds like a pretty nice drink, please let us know how it comes out.

well, I'm not going to say this is my first mead, as I didn't follow any type of recipe and just threw a bunch of crap together.

hopefully, it won't taste like crap; and I plan on backsweetening with extra honey down the line as well.

alright. so the story goes like this.

after two weeks(ish) of fermentation, and fed it more honey to bring it to about 3 pounds for one gallon.

let it sit until about three days ago, so that would be may 21st. It's very sweet, doesn't taste like pomegranate at all. Has an almost grape flavor that reminds me of that cheap Manischewits wine. hmm...nice amber color, with pink tinges coming through. Smells wonderful. Fruity, citrusy, all around delicious. Pictures coming soon, might pour myself a glass and drink it just so I can post here.

Back