All Grain Equipment Needs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSar

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I would like to start brewing using the all grain method. I currently have a 5 gallon Rubbermaid cooler and what I believe is a 5 gallon pot. What additional equipment will I need?

Thanks!

You need a method to strain the grain (lauter), a bucket to catch the runnings (hdpe), and a larger kettle unless you want to brew 4 gallons or less at a time. A wort chiller is nice but not mandatory IMO.

The basic method w/ a minimum of equipment has you use your only kettle to heat water and sparge the grain. When this is complete, you transfer the collected wort out of the bucket and return it to the kettle for boil. This is a minimalist approach but will work to you collect more equipment. Search "dennybrew"

You really need a bigger pot. Unless you're planning on 2.5g batches.

For a 5g batch, you're going to end up with 7g or so of runnings, and need atleast an 8g pot

use the 5g pot as your hlt.

Do some reading on the BIAB method. I just got started all-grain and it was pretty dang easy. That's one way to go if you want to get up and running cheaply and simply. Lots of more elaborate solutions as well which may also be your cup of tea.

All you will need is a $2 paint strainer from Home Depot, as long as you are doing the smaller size batches as mentioned above.

Hello everyone,

I would like to start brewing using the all grain method. I currently have a 5 gallon Rubbermaid cooler and what I believe is a 5 gallon pot. What additional equipment will I need?

Thanks!

Just a bigger pot and a bigger cooler! ;)

I've been using a 32 qt cooler as a MLT and it maxes out at about 12lbs of grain. You can't do a full boil in a 5gal pot. Look for 8gal min, I would go 10-15 gal if possible. They will be handy in the future.

You have to heat it, sweet lady propane works for me.

Here's a decent deal on a 15 gal pot:

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/update-international/apt-60/p4858.aspx

LOL, I just bought this. 67$ with shipping and I have a bulkhead/valve that I got from bargainfittings today just waiting. Looks like my 8gal pot is now my HLT.

Nice pot deal. I see it's 7 gauge -- how does that compare to most pots? I'm not up to date on pot thickness yet.

It arrived yesterday but I didn't open it until now. This is one helluva pot. My 8 gallon pot is 4mm thick, 7 gauge is about 5mm (3/16").

Super deal for a 15 gallon pot.

I agree with the bigger pot or smaller batches. You can get by with the 5G cooler for 5G batches depending on your berr style preferences - I have been using one for months. You will be limited to about 12 lbs of grain with it slam full to the top... That will get you to around 1.060 on a 5G batch which works for most of what I brew. If you drop to 3G batches for your pot then you can go higher gravity with that cooler. I will also say that while not strictly needed a dedicated HLT would be a really nice option - doing the wort shuffle with random pots so you can heat 2 sparges and collect your runnings to boil will get old.

Thanks for the response everyone! I'm getting ready to move into a new house so I think I'll make the switch over once I'm all settled.

One more question. If I use my 5 gallon cooler for a HLT what size should I use for a mash tun?

Back