Anything wrong with this model chest freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kedash

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Kenmore Elite White 19.7 cu. ft. Chest Freezer ENERGY STAR®

We purchased the above Kenmore chest freezer today and it will be delivered on Saturday. I haven't had the time to do a lot of research, so if anyone happens to know something that I haven't thought of, I would appreciate the feedback.

We plan on making this into a Keezer with taps running through a wood collar. I would love to have a tower system, but it will be up against a wall and I don't want to move it every time that I need to open the lid. I guess I could put rollers on the bottom, but I just don't have the spare time to do all of that extra work.

Using Edwort's cardboard circle method, I figure that this model could hold up to 10 cornys (2 rows of 5) and that leaves the hump free for the CO2 tank etc.

Lastly, is there much of a problem with condensation building up in these? Anything else to be concerened about?

Thanks!

That is huge! :mug:
Love it, I got the smaller version that I can fit 6 kegs inside, I have four taps, one for conditioning, and one space to crash chill carboys.
You can buy damp rid, or I use an eva-dry system. I still get icing on the bottom but no mold. I also just take out all the kegs and clean it out once every six months or so.
I'm sure your be very happy with this monster.

It's gotta be able to hold more than 10. My 12.8cf holds 9 with the collar. Sometimes it's like a puzzle to get the most efficient layout. It took me a few tries to get the 9 in there.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

We know close to nothing about kegging, but I'm lucky to have a good homebrew club and some neighbors that keg. I think we will start out small and have room to expand.

It might hold more than 10, but I just lined them up in two evenly spaced rows of five. I can't imagine needing to have more in there unless it's to free room for a carboy or to make some room for the house fridge overflow.

Time to start learning about this!

I guess my first purchase will be the digital temp. controller from Northern Brewer.

No issue w/ the freezer. You'll need a hell of a CO2 bottle though to keep all those taps flowing!

Like you said a bigger Co2 bottle.
Time to place the Co2 bottle externally like inside the laundry room which I have next to the next keezer. A 50# Co2 plus 150 cu/ft Stout mix gas bottle, wifey is a little bent out of shape but it will fit. I can step up to a 215 and a 260 cu/ft bottles as spares if needed.
Go big with owner owned bottles, I did this for the Mig and Tig also that have more than paid for themself over time. Screw those lease bottles.
Nice size keezer congrats.

Has anyone located any damaged or marked down freezers from Sears?
My old keezers on borrowed time, so will I by the wifey if I go buy new
at the present time reason asking.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

We know close to nothing about kegging, but I'm lucky to have a good homebrew club and some neighbors that keg. I think we will start out small and have room to expand.

It might hold more than 10, but I just lined them up in two evenly spaced rows of five. I can't imagine needing to have more in there unless it's to free room for a carboy or to make some room for the house fridge overflow.

Time to start learning about this!

I guess my first purchase will be the digital temp. controller from Northern Brewer.

I'm telling you right now, it won't be long before you wish you had more space. It's kinda like when you're going on a trip, no matter what size suitcase you bring, you always fill it up. ;)

Got a Craigslist GE 14 sf freezer..It's more than enough, of course I have a separate wine fridge I use to ferment so it's all good.
Those Kenmore's are usually really reliable so thumbs up on that purchase and good luck on your keezer build.
My Perlicks, shanks, disconnects, beverage hose and 5 way manifold are all here so I just need to find time to build the collar.. Looking forward to using the taps rather than picnic tap.
I'm doing 4 taps to start with and I really want to eventually get beer gas and a stout tap because I love stouts and that thick foam.

Got a Craigslist GE 14 sf freezer..It's more than enough, of course I have a separate wine fridge I use to ferment so it's all good.
Those Kenmore's are usually really reliable so thumbs up on that purchase and good luck on your keezer build.
My Perlicks, shanks, disconnects, beverage hose and 5 way manifold are all here so I just need to find time to build the collar.. Looking forward to using the taps rather than picnic tap.
I'm doing 4 taps to start with and I really want to eventually get beer gas and a stout tap because I love stouts and that thick foam.

I wish my back was healed up from my spinal surgery to allow me some work time as I have a commercial picture frame mitre saw that makes perfect 45 degee cuts only. A one purpose machine I got free off Craigs list. $2,585 new, complete with all the accerssories, arms with stops and a sharp carbide blade. This mega buck art studio ordered 3 new ones as a tax write off last fall. Now ya done it I have to grab a stout.

Has anyone located any damaged or marked down freezers from Sears?

I've purchased a number of appliances from a Sears Outlet store. That's where the damaged units go.

I think everyone is right when you say you will be wanting more room eventually... I think I have the largest Chest freezer produced from Kelvinator... its 25.3 cuft... I don't actually think that any other company made a larger one... Its a beast and was a PITA to get into my basement...

Back