Puzzling Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evets

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I brewed an IPA extract kit with an extra lb. of light DME and 1/2 lb of honey. I hydrated a packet of dry Nottingham yeast and pitch at 70 degrees. In about 4 hrs I had good action. After 8 hrs it was kickin. Next morning I had a steady stream of bubbles. That evening it had slowed down somewhat and the Temp in the bucket was 76 in a 70 degree room, so I took it down to the basement (65 dgrees). Next day next day the bubbles have slowed dramatically. I let it sit another day and all action ceased. Three days total. I figured maybe it's done so I checked FG and got 1.019 (OG 1.058) I let it sit til a week, then racked to sec. and dry hopped with 1 oz Cascade pellets.The FG was still at 1.019. Finally, the puzzling part. After another day I'm getting 2 bubbles per minute and have been for a solid week now. When I racked, I think I stirred up quite a bit of the trub and racked that also. Should I let it go or re-rack it off the sediment and hops?

Let it perk. Honey and high gravities can do wierd things to fermentations, mainly drag them out for weeks.

Back