Anyone wanna help with a recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inhifistereo

Reaction score
I've got all my supplies ready for a 5 gallon extract brew. Just need a few insights into what I should do for a recipe. Here's the supplies I have so far:

1 Lb. Crystal Malt 40L (uncracked--that leaves me with an entirely different problem)
Muntons Can of Amber LME
1 lb. Muntons Amber DME
1 oz. Argentinian Cascade Pellet Hops
1 oz. Vanguard Whole Leaf Hops
2 packets of Ale yeast

I also have a can of hopped John Ball Light LME. I don't really want to use it since its hopped (I picked up the wrong can and they won't let me return it), but if ya'll think it might work then I could be persuaded to give it a shot.

What do you think?

Frankly, you don't have a lot to work from there.

Are you open to buying additional ingredients?

I've got all my supplies ready for a 5 gallon extract brew. Just need a few insights into what I should do for a recipe. Here's the supplies I have so far:

1 Lb. Crystal Malt 40L (uncracked--that leaves me with an entirely different problem)
Muntons Can of Amber LME
1 lb. Muntons Amber DME
1 oz. Argentinian Cascade Pellet Hops
1 oz. Vanguard Whole Leaf Hops
2 packets of Ale yeast

I also have a can of hopped John Ball Light LME. I don't really want to use it since its hopped (I picked up the wrong can and they won't let me return it), but if ya'll think it might work then I could be persuaded to give it a shot.

What do you think?

Use the Hopped can and the 1 Lbs DME and you will have a amber ale dont screw with adding the extra hops.

You could leave out the hopped LME and do a low end of the BJCP style for an Amber Ale...

(I ran this through beercalculus since I'm at work and don't have my beertools here.)

3. 3 lbs Amber Malt Extract Syrup (I'm assuming you have a 3.3 pound can)

1 lbs Amber Dry Malt Extract

1 lbs Crystal 40L (steeping grains)

time oz variety form aa
60 0.75 Cascade pellet 6.6
15 0.5 Vanguard leaf 5.0
0-5 0.5 Vanguard leaf 5.0

Gravity
1.037 (1.033 to 1.039)
Final Gravity
1.009 (1.008 to 1.010)
Color
10° SRM
(Gold to Copper)

Bitterness
4.9 HBU
24.5 IBU (23.1 IBU corrected for boil gravity)

You'll have to do the ole crush your grains with a rolling pin, then steep them, unless you have someone with a mill to do it for you.

I also have a can of hopped John Ball Light LME. I don't really want to use it since its hopped (I picked up the wrong can and they won't let me return it

Regardless of the recipe you choose, you should find a new HBS. Unless there's something weird about the transaction that you didn't mention, that's just BS.

Thanks Revvy. That looks like a pretty decent Amber Ale to me.

Bloomington/Normal doesn't have any other options for a HBS. The only other option is mail order. I'm not opposed to it, but I like being able to go touch/feel/taste the product before I buy. Know what I mean?

Back