DC Area Group Buy #11

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw your edit...
Yeah, I don't see the point of splitting those 2 base malts? I can understand the Wheat and the MO in some ways, but not common 2-row and Pilsner. Maybe a specialty Pilsner

Splitting is a lot of work and those 2 make little sense, particularly in the light of you're getting a sack of each anyway.

Makes sense...updated to remove the 2-row and pilsner splits, and added another sack of 2-row. Can we keep the Wheat and MO as splits (understanding that I'll take the whole sack if no one wants in)?

Anybody have any thoughts on the pilsners available? Planning a couple batches of American premium lager and some Oktoberfest.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I will take the remaining 15 pounds on the RAH1008 Rahr White Wheat split.

Cheers,

Kirk

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Makes sense...updated to remove the 2-row and pilsner splits, and added another sack of 2-row. Can we keep the Wheat and MO as splits (understanding that I'll take the whole sack if no one wants in)?

[EDIT] Computer was crashing while typing my previous answer, so I submitted quickly. Surprised it did go through, even the input box was still open after restarting. I suspect the graphics card.

Yeah, Wheat and MO are fine for splits.
Added: 2x Rahr 2-row and 1x Pilsner, Splits of 35# of Muntons MO and 35# of Rahr White Wheat Malt.

HU:
We're quite a bit out from ordering and distributing this buy, looking at around March most likely. Hope you're not in dire need for those grains.

[EDIT]
HU:
We're quite a bit out from ordering and distributing this buy, looking at around March most likely. Hope you're not in dire need for those grains.

I hate to do this, but I'm going to have to back out altogether. I need the base grain by the end of the month/early January to fill a barrel, and I'll have moved out of the area by March. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I hate to do this, but I'm going to have to back out altogether. I need the base grain by the end of the month/early January to fill a barrel, and I'll have moved out of the area by March. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you for letting us know. Hope your next residence has lots of brew space. :D

Order removed, no problem.

Another HU:
At the pickup on the 22nd, 3 Stars had half a pallet of sacks of TF "Optic" malt for $42. They had it leftover and were selling them at cost. I took one. The raw grain tastes really good, haven't brewed with it yet.

I hope we get this one filled quite a bit earlier...like Jan. I plan to brew a LOT over the holidays and that will deplete my base grains for sure...

thrillhouse the Optic is supposed to be awesome as a base grain. I would give them a call at the HBS and see if the offer is still valid. That is at cost, so it is a good deal. Cheers!
<EDIT> I sent them an email to see if they still have it...will post when I hear back.

when i heard that the next group buy might not happen until march i picked up a bag of the $42 Optic (thanks stonebrewer!).

i'm a fan of optic. one of the best beers that i have ever brewed was an amarillo/optic SMaSH (called "yellow vision" - pretty clever, right?). might need to brew that one up again.

I hope we get this one filled quite a bit earlier...like Jan. I plan to brew a LOT over the holidays and that will deplete my base grains for sure...

I'm in the same boat - I was hoping for January, but figuring on February. How long would it be until we have a better idea on the actual date?

To make it worth our while and 3 Stars', we're always looking to get around 40 sacks, one pallet, at minimum. If you guys can fill that by the end of this month (Dec. 26th), you can have your grains mid January. :mug:

To make it worth our while and 3 Stars', we're always looking to get around 40 sacks, one pallet, at minimum. If you guys can fill that by the end of this month (Dec. 26th), you can have your grains mid January. :mug:

Gotcha...you may want to put that info in the header post - it makes it sound like these are just sacks that get tacked onto a store/brewery's regular order.

I'm gonna back out then, as I'll need the grains before March. I'll go back and edit my posts to remove my 2x2-row, 1xPilsner, and 35#/MO. I'll stay committed to the wheat split so I don't screw Kisejohn over (unless there are other people who want to take the 35#), since I won't need that until later anyway.

Sorry for the confusion/hassle.

Gotcha...you may want to put that info in the header post - it makes it sound like these are just sacks that get tacked onto a store/brewery's regular order.

I'm gonna back out then, as I'll need the grains before March. I'll go back and edit my posts to remove my 2x2-row, 1xPilsner, and 35#/MO. I'll stay committed to the wheat split so I don't screw Kisejohn over (unless there are other people who want to take the 35#), since I won't need that until later anyway.

Sorry for the confusion/hassle.

Best NOT to edit those posts, just send a new one with the changes!

EDIT:
You may drop your 35# share of White Wheat Malt or keep it, just let us know.

The original post is a bit optimistic about the time intervals, it was copied and adapted from previous buys. But we've not been having these buys every few weeks. The one before last was a week after Labor Day, 9/6. The last one was 11/22. That's 10 weeks in between!

Best NOT to edit those posts, just send a new one with the changes!

Ah crap. I already edited the post, but to clarify:

Please remove my orders for:

2xRAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb
1xRAH1005 Rahr Premium Pilsner 50 lb
35# MUN1001 Muntons Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb)

Ah crap. I already edited the post, but to clarify:

Please remove my orders for:

2xRAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb
1xRAH1005 Rahr Premium Pilsner 50 lb
35# MUN1001 Muntons Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb)

No problem, those have been removed.
If you want to buy some more later, just let us know in a new message, don't change previous posts, we're not looking back, don't worry. :D

Order Status: We're at 2 sacks total, right now.

Munich malt
carafoam
crystal malt 60L
melanoiden malt
can I split these or are these not on the list I could do 10 to 15lbs of these

I leave 20 feb for TX... as long as the pickup is before 14 feb put me down for a split start for,

#20 CAS1034 Château Special B® 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

Château Special B&#8482; can be used to produce a deep red to dark brown-black color and fuller body. Château Special B&#8482; brings forth unique flavors and aromas, making it a powerhouse specialty malt. It gives intense color and raisin-like flavors while imparting a rich malty taste and a hint of nut and plum flavor as well. May substitute Chocolate and Black malt if bitterness is not desired.

Munich malt
carafoam
crystal malt 60L
melanoiden malt

AfroHopster,

Here's the item numbers for the grain you wanted to split, Just cut and paste then put a #10 or how ever many lbs u want to split of each. I'd recommend getting more of the 60L than the other two, as grain bill % is likely higher for 60L.

WEY1056 Weyermann® CaraFoam® 25 Kg (55 Lb.)
BRI1036 Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L 50 lb
WEY1019 Weyermann® Melanoidin 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

The best thing to do is put in your order and if it gets to the point you cannot wait, take things off. No one can predict the next buy...too many factors are involved. We don't have to wait for 40 sacks, but that is kinda where it feels right to make the effort to do splits. If I am remembering right, we did a buy in Jan, Mar, May, Sept, Nov...so every 2 months except in the summer. Still thinking Jan, but it will depend on who gets to brewing and needing grain, how many new folks sign up, etc.

Munich malt
carafoam
crystal malt 60L
melanoiden malt

You got to OPEN the spreadsheet of buy #11 to see the listings on the first tab. Then copy and paste, like emyers said.

What Munich do you want? Please, there are a few.

AfroHopster,

Here's the item numbers for the grain you wanted to split, Just cut and paste then put a #10 or how ever many lbs u want to split of each. I'd recommend getting more of the 60L than the other two, as grain bill % is likely higher for 60L.

WEY1056 Weyermann® CaraFoam® 25 Kg (55 Lb.)
BRI1036 Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L 50 lb
WEY1019 Weyermann® Melanoidin 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

Thanks emyers for spelling them out. 3 kudo points for you.

I've added these 3 splits with 10# each for AfroHopster. AfroHopster, if you want more, let us know. Please be specific.
I'm holding off on your Munich depending on which one you select (Weyermann's Light or Dark, Briess Bonlander, or Chateau Light)

In for one sack:

RAH1005 Rahr Premium Pilsner 50 lb

(May back out if I can't get this by mid February)

In for one sack:

RAH1005 Rahr Premium Pilsner 50 lb

(May back out if I can't get this by mid February)

Added.
We're at 2 whole sacks plus 5 splits with 165# to go.

BTW, who was it who supplied all of those snazzy buckets at thhe last pickup?

Keith (bigbeavk) is our man!
Those buckets alone make it worth participating in 10# splits for.

I'm in. I'd like to start a few splits. I have a Golden Promise split in here. I love the malt but don't think I could go through an entire sack in a timeline manner. If no one is interested in picking up the difference, I understand. It makes a lovely Wee Heavy.

1 X RAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb
30# SIM1002 Simpsons Golden Promise 25 kg (55 lb)
25# RAH1008 Rahr White Wheat 50 lb
20# WEY1016 Weyermann® Vienna 25 Kg (55 Lb.)
15# BRI1057 Briess 2-Row Chocolate 50 lb
15# BRI1035 Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L 50 lb
15# BRI1037 Briess 2-Row Caramel 80L 50 lb
10# BRI1022 Briess 2-Row Carapils® 50 lb

I'm in. I'd like to start a few splits. I have a Golden Promise split in here. I love the malt but don't think I could go through an entire sack in a timeline manner. If no one is interested in picking up the difference, I understand. It makes a lovely Wee Heavy.

1 X RAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb
30# SIM1002 Simpsons Golden Promise 25 kg (55 lb)
25# RAH1008 Rahr White Wheat 50 lb
20# WEY1016 Weyermann® Vienna 25 Kg (55 Lb.)
15# BRI1057 Briess 2-Row Chocolate 50 lb
15# BRI1035 Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L 50 lb
15# BRI1037 Briess 2-Row Caramel 80L 50 lb
10# BRI1022 Briess 2-Row Carapils® 50 lb

Welcome to the buy!

All added.
GP splits have been common around here, and are fine.

Now you've got to "sell" the balance of those splits so they fill up in order to get your own shares, or whatever it takes. :drunk:

put me down for;
#20 on the split of Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L BRI1036
#20 on the split of Weyermann® Vienna WEY1016

Back